Two Favorites Gone


Sometimes Tony and I will reminisce about when I used to work at the Italian restaurant downtown and I wonder how my old boss is doing. With a quick google search I found that he had passed in August of last year at the age of 95. Dang, I wasn't ready for that. His wife died in February and it was too much for him. 

I wrote a full post about him in 2014 and in re-reading it, a lot of fun memories came back. My favorite was on my last night when he was supposed to go home, (apartments above the restaurant). Tony and I were leaving after my last drink with him, when he snuck out the back door and was walking down the street. We stopped and he got in the car and we all went out drinking until the bar closed. We had a blast and his wife was pissed which made the night all the more sweeter. Just for context, she didn't like me. I will always have the fondest memories of Joe and I hope he  knows how much he meant to me.

A few days after Christmas, Chico's dad emailed to tell me that he had to say goodbye to his little buddy. The sweet boy made it to 16 years old. He was such a fun boy and was up to anything, and especially loved his walks and car rides. I pretty much mourned his loss when he moved because I knew we'd never see him again. Now I can just have sweet memories of him.

I hate that getting older means your favorites, whether a person or animal is getting older too.

I was going to end this post here; but then Julie updated her GoFundMe page, or rather had to start a new one for her updated circumstances. I'd really like to share it here so you all can see what a beautiful person she is and what she's going through. This is really her last hope and it sucks to not have insurance to cover it. If you are able in any way to help her, or even to share her story; I'm sure she would appreciate it. She even has Venmo for those that don't care for GoFundMe. Thank you. https://gofund.me/79cf40c0f


Comments

Grumpy said…
That is the downside of getting older, you lose loved ones, animal and human.
Mr. Shife said…
That news about your old boss hit hard; it’s amazing how one Google search can suddenly reopen a whole chapter of your life. The way you described that “last night out” with him—sneaking out the back door, closing down the bar, wife mad and all—feels like such a perfect, joyful snapshot to keep.

Losing Chico and then reading Julie’s update on top of that is a lot of grief and worry to hold at once, but the love and care in how you write about all three of them really comes through. Hoping Julie gets the help she needs and that sharing her story brings some support her way.
Peruby said…
We put down our 16 year old dog in November, his brother in July 2024. The longest I have had any one dog and I have had several. But these two I had since they were tiny newborns so they got the most vet care and lived long (I hope, happy) lives.

Popular posts from this blog

Live isn't always best

Still Her Advocate

Exploding Snails