Last Day

Thursday was my last full day and of course it rained, and then rained some more. Although I was disappointed, I don't think I could have done one more thing. Every part of my body hurt and my feet were rebelling but I still wanted to get out a bit. 

In the bus we had driven through Fisherman's Wharf and it was close enough to walk to. Thankfully I had brought my umbrella and off I went. There were a lot more restaurants and tourist traps. Madame Tussauds and Ripley's Believe It Or Not was there but I didn't feel like spending any more money.

This was the only actual picture I took, a beautiful mosaic in a quiet courtyard.

I wandered around until lunch time trying to figure out where to eat. I sat outside the Boudin Bakery Cafe and read the reviews before I went in. The cafe is downstairs and a more upscale restaurant is upstairs. I guess I felt like treating myself to a nice meal, then had buyers remorse as I left. All I ordered was a bloody mary, ceasar salad and small clam chowder bread bowl and it came to 50 bucks! The tightwad in me cringed.

I walked through the café/bakery afterwards and wished I had eaten there. They're famous for their sourdough bread since 1849 and the place smelled wonderful. It was impractical to bring any bread home but I wished I could have.

After getting back to my room cold and wet, I crawled back into bed for awhile then started getting things together for my departure. The next morning with my bags stuffed with t-shirts, candy, and fortune cookies, I headed to the airport right at check out time even though my flight didn't leave until 3. That gave me time to have some lunch and walk around. Although my plane was delayed by an hour, everything else was pretty uneventful and it was a nice flight home. 

There were many places I wish I could have gotten to see, like the Painted Ladies and more of the Presidio and Golden Gate Park. If I ever go back I'd like to stay near the Presidio so I can see those things plus beaches. Believe it or not I don't even think I saw the GG Bridge! I would have a much better view if I stayed closer to it.

This was my first foray into solo traveling and I would definitely do it again. You can do what you want, eat where you want, and rest when you want. Plus no arguing with family members about all of those things! I highly recommend it at least once in your life and I thank you all for traveling along with me.

Comments

Grumpy said…
Where to next year?
kden said…
Nothing planned yet Grumpy; might have to take the family next year :)
Mr. Shife said…
Thank you for sharing with us, kden. It was wonderful hearing all about it and seeing your photos.

Popular posts from this blog

Live isn't always best

Still Her Advocate

Exploding Snails