Enter Buddy
On occasion we have boarded a dog without getting the chance to meet them first. This happens for out-of-towners and the stay is usually only a night or two so we figure we can survive that long. Buddy lives in Arizona, his twin human sisters are starting college in town so they were going to combine a vacation along with moving them here.
When they dropped him off, all 4 of the family members came in as well as 3 friends from Norway. They're all talking at the same time trying to tell me about their dog and I'm like freaking out because well I'm an introvert and you just invaded my space, as well as there still being a pandemic with 101 different variants out there. Plus, I'm a dog lover from way back but I've never seen so many people faun over one dog before. They were all taking pictures, hugging, and kissing like it was the last time they were going to see him. The dad even set up a group text so I can update the whole damn family at once. Come on people, just let me do my job. For some dogs, all that extra attention can stress them out big time because they can feel all that emotion. That's why I prefer seamless, no drama drop offs.
Buddy is a 12 year old German Shepherd mix. Whatever he's mixed with must be a smaller dog because he's not very big; he reminds me of a coyote. Even though I was away taking care of Murray the cat part of the time, I went home almost every day to hang out with him and walk him. He's really a mellow boy who likes to sleep a lot but does get excited over a treat; who doesn't?
The twins picked him up on Saturday for the day. That's another first for me. When a dog is in the care of a Rover sitter, they are responsible for their safety and if something would happen while they are away from me, we could get in trouble. But things went very well and he had no qualms about being dropped off and left again. He has been a real good dog and I am glad everything worked out well for everyone. I'm not sure if we'd ever see him again but it would be fine with us.
Abe is doing great, he is finished with his meds, now just needs to grow some more. Last week he had gained 1/4 lb. If we have a dog, we let him out of his crate to run around our bedroom. If no dog is here (or on a walk), he gets the run of most of the house. Don't feel too sorry for him though being in a crate, it's big enough to house a small adult! Faith and I went in together to buy it so whatever she brings home would have plenty of room. It barely fits in her bedroom, but she makes it work.
Yesterday was Faith's 26th birthday so we made homemade ice cream in the morning and I made pepperoni pizza wellington for dinner.





Comments
to wonder if they ever had left him
before.
:-)