And Away She Goes

It's strange sometimes to look back at the progression of things and how you can get from point A to B in a blink of an eye. Once Mom's visiting nurse brought up that it might be time for her to leave her home, things really took off.

First a social worker came over and talked to both of us. She gave us a few names of Senior Advisors that she worked with. One name was starred as a favorite so I started there. Her and I talked on the phone and started the process of looking for an Adult Group Home. Within a few days she had arranged a tour of one facility but after finding out they didn't use Long Term Care policies as forms of payment, we had to move on.

The next day I got a very excited call from the advisor who said another opening was coming up soon and we should tour it. I met Debbie there and we both pretty much fell in love with it immediately. The owners are wonderful, the house is beautiful and clean, the room opening up is a suite, and they have the cutest little dog there during the day. What's not to love?

Mollie


The owner had another tour scheduled in a few days so we just went ahead and put a down payment on the room. Then the flurry of paperwork started and I still had to tell Mom. She took it really well even though it happened much faster than all of us thought it would. By the next day we were helping her decide what she wanted to take. 

The week consisted of packing, paperwork, phone calls, packing, throwing out, driving to the home for more paperwork, explaining things to Mom, packing, more explaining and calming fears. Mom has a lot of stuff, but none of it is junk and not much will have to be thrown out. Because she's so artsy though, she has quite a collection of things. Deb put all of her painted/decorated bottles on a table. Yes, just bottles. 

There are also painted birdhouses and rocks, they got packed before I could take a pic. As things left her house box by box, it started to echo in there. Movers came Saturday for the big stuff; we are all too old to do that anymore. I met my brother and Deb at the new place after the movers had delivered everything and we spent 4 hours unpacking. This was only round one; the rest of the last minute items and Mom will come next......stay tuned.


Comments

Best wishes for your Mom.
:-)
Anonymous said…
This has a good feeling to it. And the dog is soooooo cute, especially with that beautiful coat! I hope your mom settles in well!
Grumpy said…
I hope your Mom is well and happy in her new home.

Popular posts from this blog

Live isn't always best

Still Her Advocate

Exploding Snails