Quarantine Rambles
When quarantine started about mid March, I noticed how driving habits changed. First, cars were kind of scarce and when you did get out, it felt strange. Accidents were down because driving was too. Then I believe people started thinking that if the majority of workers were staying home, police officers must be too.
Speed increased next since the cops are home (snort) and there's not many people out driving, so why not? We live next to a high school where the speed limit is 20 all day long during the school year. No school--no need to go 20. Thirty is the limit now but I often witness 35 on up. Several times I've seen racing, since it's a two lane-one way; cars and motorbikes alike.
The other day I was coming home from an eye appointment and going 30 on a well traveled 2 lane street and this young girl actually passed me! Even when I go a few mph over the limit there is always someone who feels I'm too slow and they ride my tail or do anything they can to get around me. Obviously accidents are up. Since my own accident I've been so much more observant and critical of the idiots out there. No one is that damn important that they need to put others' lives in danger.
Then this happened last week; not because of wanton disregard to driving laws but just old fashioned inattention. Faith had taken a walk and was on her way home. Behind our street is another two lane one-way street, heading north. Out of habit and knowing how people drive, we still look both ways while crossing. After she stepped off the curb and was halfway through the crosswalk, a woman driving a school district van was turning north and ran right into her! It was a slow love tap kind of hit (if there is such a thing) but it still knocked her down. She had placed her hands on the hood and kind of ran backwards but couldn't keep up and fell.
The woman got out and checked on her while apologizing profusely. She said she just didn't see her. She asked if Faith wanted her information but she declined. She wasn't bleeding or broken, but she was sore for a few days and had a little knee pain; but it did shake her up a lot. I'm sure the woman didn't sleep well that night and I'm hoping she will be more cautious in the future.
Pandemic or not, people need to pay attention when they're driving. I've kind of grown accustomed to my girl and don't want her run over.

Comments
So glad she is okay!
xoxo :-)