The Path Is Done

I am done
Faith is done
The path is done
Never in our lifetime
will we do it again!

This was a tough project. The first half was easier because the ground was flat and we had just dirt to work in. The other half had less dirt, more wood chips, and uneven ground. I'd rather do it right the first time than to have to tear it up so we had to work and rework an area to get it looking half way decent. There are still a few high and low areas and I can work on them as time goes by.  In total, Faith and I worked with 1080 lbs. of cement. The cost of that was 72 bucks. I'm sure we saved hundreds of dollars going this way rather than actual rock pavers; but still......a lot of work.

We still need to fill in the cracks with ground cover like the first section, which is growing in nicely. In the beginning I ordered high strength concrete. I know nothing about concrete and didn't realize it was full of rocky material. I assumed it would be nice and smooth and our rainbow rocks would look nice on top. But rocks on top of rocks? I was disappointed but I couldn't switch it up in the middle of it. Plus it will last forever, way after I will I suppose.

Part One


Corner of part one and two


Part Two

In memory of Nellie, with some ashes within

All of our plants are in finally but I won't take any pics until late summer or fall because so many are bare root and it still looks like a desert on one side. This is the rock garden; my favorite part! It did shrink a lot from the beginning which is good because I had trouble reaching the top. I love sitting out there early in the morning or evening when it's shady. 



The grand total for this year long adventure is $1308.60. I wasn't far off from my goal of 1K and I'm so proud that we did it all ourselves. It just proves that you can do a lot of work even with a strict budget. Now we can just relax and watch things grow; and of course keep up with weeds.

I will officially retire my gloves now, as they have done their job well.





Comments

Congrats! Looks great.
:-)
Grumpy said…
Well done. It looks great and it serves a purpose.
Valerie said…
Well done, you. You are quite right to be proud of your achievement.
Mr. Shife said…
Wow. You and Faith did a wonderful job. Nicely done and you should be proud of all of that hard work. I really like the ground cover and I can't wait to see when it is all filled in. The Nellie tribute was lovely as well.
Claire M. King said…
So proud of you for continuing your endeavors, writing and photography. Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Live isn't always best

Still Her Advocate

Exploding Snails