Yard Update
Last fall we decided to not pick up fallen leaves; instead I painstakingly raked them where I wanted them so they could mulch over the winter. Did I assume they would all stay in their assigned place until the snow fell to weigh them down? Of course I did. Did they? Of course not.
The winds came in and blew them one way, then the snow fell. After the snow left, the leaves were as dry as when they fell. I found their hiding spot against the fence and around the other side of the house and put them back where they belonged. Again, Miss Windy had her own idea and blew them all the other way to never be seen again.
Late February the weather was decent enough to lay down some top soil/compost. Having a couple of yards delivered was out of the question, so to start with I bought 10 bags. It was easy enough to dump and spread, but thinking ahead to the other side of the yard I knew it would not work. I belong to Nextdoor and found a guy with a truck who would deliver a yard of topsoil to start with. That way we could just wheelbarrow the whole lot instead of dumping. A yard wasn't enough so he went back for another half. Darn, should have gone with a full yard. No problem, we can just buy bags to finish the job; we're so close. With their help it only took an hour-and-a-half. It was definitely worth it to pay for help this time around. I've been keeping a running total of what we've been spending and it's my goal to keep it around 1K. We're a little over 600 now, so I believe it's do-able.
It's nice to see dirt for a change instead of brown sawdust and leaves. The next step, other than more dirt, will be a cement cobblestone path made by Faith and I. The new trees/shrubs are starting to get leaves/buds and the Iris's are starting to poke up. It felt really good to play in the dirt again, it's the best way to feel refreshed after being cooped up.
The winds came in and blew them one way, then the snow fell. After the snow left, the leaves were as dry as when they fell. I found their hiding spot against the fence and around the other side of the house and put them back where they belonged. Again, Miss Windy had her own idea and blew them all the other way to never be seen again.
Late February the weather was decent enough to lay down some top soil/compost. Having a couple of yards delivered was out of the question, so to start with I bought 10 bags. It was easy enough to dump and spread, but thinking ahead to the other side of the yard I knew it would not work. I belong to Nextdoor and found a guy with a truck who would deliver a yard of topsoil to start with. That way we could just wheelbarrow the whole lot instead of dumping. A yard wasn't enough so he went back for another half. Darn, should have gone with a full yard. No problem, we can just buy bags to finish the job; we're so close. With their help it only took an hour-and-a-half. It was definitely worth it to pay for help this time around. I've been keeping a running total of what we've been spending and it's my goal to keep it around 1K. We're a little over 600 now, so I believe it's do-able.
It's nice to see dirt for a change instead of brown sawdust and leaves. The next step, other than more dirt, will be a cement cobblestone path made by Faith and I. The new trees/shrubs are starting to get leaves/buds and the Iris's are starting to poke up. It felt really good to play in the dirt again, it's the best way to feel refreshed after being cooped up.




Comments
a great thing always but
especially in this everything
closed, stay home time. :-)