Old Little Girls
In January I decided to open up my sitting services to new clients again. I got a request to sit for two older poodles and met them a few weeks ago, then started my 4 night stay on Wednesday.
Both girls are apricot colored poodles. Desi is almost 15, missing an eye, and 5 pounds.
Baby is almost 16, mostly blind and deaf and a whopping 4 pounds.
They spend most of the day sleeping together in a heated bed. They have to be carried outside to do their business. The owners can do both at a time but I don't trust myself so only do one.
They also sleep with the owners so that was me while I was there. One sleeps on top but close to the body (the rib area, says owner) I started her out away from me on a blanket but as I turned out the light she moved close, onto my pillow into my face. Much miscalculation I'd say. She was also shivering so I had a quaking puppy in my face. I turned over and as she warmed up, her little body did feel good against my neck and upper back.
The other one burrows under the covers down to the feet. I tried to keep her more on the inside so she wouldn't fall off the bed. But as one pushed my body to the outside, the other was moving too. It was a rough night; but probably not for them.
The rest of the stay was better. I placed myself in the middle of the bed, which made it safer for the under-the-cover girl. The bed is all memory foam. Some would find this comfortable but to me it feels like squishy cement; my hips and legs hurt so bad.
It was a little boring there; I watched a lot of TV. I took a few walks. One day I had to go to Mom's but cut it down to 4 hours. I had a mess to clean when I got back but since they're tiny......you get the point. It was interesting to see how they navigate around the house. They can find their water and food quite well. They don't alert to when they need to go out; that's why they just need to be picked up and taken out at certain intervals. In the evening they assume someone is on the couch so they will wander over and hope someone will pick them up and put them on their blanket. They have me trained quite well. By my last day there I really did adore them both.
I got home last night and it's doubtful I'll see them again as the daughter usually watches them. But at least they know they have a back up if I'm available.
Both girls are apricot colored poodles. Desi is almost 15, missing an eye, and 5 pounds.
Baby is almost 16, mostly blind and deaf and a whopping 4 pounds.
They spend most of the day sleeping together in a heated bed. They have to be carried outside to do their business. The owners can do both at a time but I don't trust myself so only do one.
They also sleep with the owners so that was me while I was there. One sleeps on top but close to the body (the rib area, says owner) I started her out away from me on a blanket but as I turned out the light she moved close, onto my pillow into my face. Much miscalculation I'd say. She was also shivering so I had a quaking puppy in my face. I turned over and as she warmed up, her little body did feel good against my neck and upper back.
The other one burrows under the covers down to the feet. I tried to keep her more on the inside so she wouldn't fall off the bed. But as one pushed my body to the outside, the other was moving too. It was a rough night; but probably not for them.
The rest of the stay was better. I placed myself in the middle of the bed, which made it safer for the under-the-cover girl. The bed is all memory foam. Some would find this comfortable but to me it feels like squishy cement; my hips and legs hurt so bad.
It was a little boring there; I watched a lot of TV. I took a few walks. One day I had to go to Mom's but cut it down to 4 hours. I had a mess to clean when I got back but since they're tiny......you get the point. It was interesting to see how they navigate around the house. They can find their water and food quite well. They don't alert to when they need to go out; that's why they just need to be picked up and taken out at certain intervals. In the evening they assume someone is on the couch so they will wander over and hope someone will pick them up and put them on their blanket. They have me trained quite well. By my last day there I really did adore them both.
I got home last night and it's doubtful I'll see them again as the daughter usually watches them. But at least they know they have a back up if I'm available.



Comments