Pele

Last week we had Pele back; the 10 year old tripod. We haven't seen him since April of last year. Then he could still go for walks with a few rests along the way and would enjoy a game of tug. Since then he's has a partial cruciate tear in his only remaining back leg. He's on pain meds, a kidney diet, and his activities are really limited. If the tear goes all the way, his owner will have no choice but to have him put down.

It was kind of difficult to have him here. Poor guy is so darn bored and can't do what he used to do. He doesn't play with toys. He hates his food, had diarrhea almost the whole time, and needed help getting back in the house. He knows we have neighbor dogs and every chance he got he would drag himself to the fence to fight with them. We had to drag him back, all 90 pounds of him. I was so scared he was going to hurt himself the whole time.


He is a sweet boy though and still has a light in his eyes. He slept in Faith's room and wouldn't come out until she got up. When she sat on the couch, he wanted to be up there too. It's quite interesting to see how he manages this. He backs up to the couch and hoists his stump and back leg up first. To make it easy for him I push the front of his body up, then he flops his head right on top of her.



One night it snowed and he wanted to be out but not in the snow. He dropped right in the doorway so I had no choice but to prop the doors open to make him comfortable while I was freezing while making dinner.


We babied him as much as possible because we don't know when or if we will ever see him again.

Comments

Valerie said…
I know how you felt about this dog. Sometimes I think we are saddened by our pets more than humans.
Mr. Shife said…
Positive thoughts and good wishes to Pele.
Nathalie A said…
It is heartwarming that Pele still has a loving bond with his owner and finds comfort in her presence.

Popular posts from this blog

Live isn't always best

Still Her Advocate

Exploding Snails