Yard Progress
Progress? I guess we have some. All rocks have been gathered, and then some. Faith and I measured out a 5 foot diameter circle. But knowing that we'd be building inward/upward in the circle, it didn't seem like it would be big enough. We then went to 6 feet and laid out our base. So far so good.
Then, we started filling up the circle--with logs, old rugs, some rock, old wood planter box, sawdust, and anything that takes up room but is earth friendly, so no garbage. There was one particular alley that Tony and I were going through to pick from a pile of rocks. I would say it wasn't from the best part of town but hey, free is free. In the same alley we found a bunch of very old sod; how perfect for filler! In go rocks and sod to the back of my car, what a mess. The sod now goes into the circle and it's starting to look like a giant fire pit.
We started adding more dirt and an extra layer of rock.
This is where I made a critical mistake. I should have put some mortar in between the rocks to hold them steady because when water makes things settle and spread, the rocks start to pop out of formation. I tried using some quick setting cement but it just ran between the cracks and looked like runny, gray, baby poop. That prompted me to buy some mortar and it worked really well. Faith and I spent an hour gluing together any rocks that touched each other. As we build higher we will continue to do the same to keep it together.
Other than the crumbling rock city, we got a great deal on bags of sawdust---free. This guy had probably 30 contractor bags full of it and we could come and go and take what we wanted. All but one made it home. We laid down a layer of fresh lawn clippings and then sawdust in the yard. It can only make the soil better, right?
Slowly we've been buying shrubs and things that will go in this fall. Tony dug up some Iris's and Faith and I moved them to a corner. Since the soil is not broken down yet, we had to hack through with a large knife to plant them. That was a little difficult and my hand is still not happy. Our first little bush to plant was a Golden Current, right behind the Iris. Several feet away is a Burning Bush. All of this in under the Oak tree, which will allow sun and shade.
On the other side, where the rockery is, we put in a Mock Orange. When our little Apache Plume arrives later this month it will also go on this side as well as more Iris in the corner. This is the side that will be mostly drought resistant and in full sun.
In the full shade of the Oak, I have something really exciting planned. But it will have to wait until next spring, as will a lot of things. It's hard to plan projects around planting seasons but you just can't rush some things or money and time will be wasted.
I know it looks rough and kind of ugly now. The people that walk by regularly, especially teachers, now stop and ask what we're doing. All feedback is positive so I hope they enjoy watching the progress as much as we enjoy doing it.
Then, we started filling up the circle--with logs, old rugs, some rock, old wood planter box, sawdust, and anything that takes up room but is earth friendly, so no garbage. There was one particular alley that Tony and I were going through to pick from a pile of rocks. I would say it wasn't from the best part of town but hey, free is free. In the same alley we found a bunch of very old sod; how perfect for filler! In go rocks and sod to the back of my car, what a mess. The sod now goes into the circle and it's starting to look like a giant fire pit.
We started adding more dirt and an extra layer of rock.
This is where I made a critical mistake. I should have put some mortar in between the rocks to hold them steady because when water makes things settle and spread, the rocks start to pop out of formation. I tried using some quick setting cement but it just ran between the cracks and looked like runny, gray, baby poop. That prompted me to buy some mortar and it worked really well. Faith and I spent an hour gluing together any rocks that touched each other. As we build higher we will continue to do the same to keep it together.
Other than the crumbling rock city, we got a great deal on bags of sawdust---free. This guy had probably 30 contractor bags full of it and we could come and go and take what we wanted. All but one made it home. We laid down a layer of fresh lawn clippings and then sawdust in the yard. It can only make the soil better, right?
Slowly we've been buying shrubs and things that will go in this fall. Tony dug up some Iris's and Faith and I moved them to a corner. Since the soil is not broken down yet, we had to hack through with a large knife to plant them. That was a little difficult and my hand is still not happy. Our first little bush to plant was a Golden Current, right behind the Iris. Several feet away is a Burning Bush. All of this in under the Oak tree, which will allow sun and shade.
![]() |
| Burning Bush |
On the other side, where the rockery is, we put in a Mock Orange. When our little Apache Plume arrives later this month it will also go on this side as well as more Iris in the corner. This is the side that will be mostly drought resistant and in full sun.
![]() |
| Mock Orange |
I know it looks rough and kind of ugly now. The people that walk by regularly, especially teachers, now stop and ask what we're doing. All feedback is positive so I hope they enjoy watching the progress as much as we enjoy doing it.





Comments
When my pampas was cut down/out I decided to use the space for a rock garden. Not getting very far though. I am not able to do it on my own. Some weeds have taken root so I'm hoping they are pretty ones.