Rocks In My Head

My Dear Daughter and I have taken on a new craft. We still enjoy coloring but haven't been doing much of it lately. We joined a FB group that does rock painting. But what makes it fun is that we paint the rocks, write the groups name on the back, post (or not) a picture of the rocks and where you are going to hide them. Either people in the group can find them; or if someone else finds one they can join the group to show what they found. You can either re-hide the rock or keep it.

All of that is totally optional though. The real object is to make someone's day when they find a treasure. On vacation last year The Kid found one lying on railing at a tourist lookout area. At that time we didn't know it was a 'thing'. It is totally a thing and every community probably has their own group. It reminds me of hiding Easter eggs, but year round.

I started small and it's very evident which ones are my first. I look online to see how to draw certain things or just look for ideas. There are thousands and thousands of ideas. Since my Mom is a painter I wanted to do one for her but it had to be half-way good. She's gone nuts over sloths lately so I painted this, and I think she was impressed. They will never be as good as hers though, she's been painting rocks for years--before it was even cool. She has done large ones we have in our yard and smaller ones that are everywhere in our house. I would consider mine to be more whimsical and not really art. But it's still fun and we spend too many hours sitting at the table painting.


My brother and his wife are back in town for awhile so I did this for her on a piece of slate and left it for her at my Mom's. Who doesn't love the movie "UP?"


These are the rest of the first batch. The protective finish has to cure for a few weeks before we can 'rock' a place. I'm going to keep one of the little chickies because they're so darn cute.  FYI Salaam means peace in Swahili.



Now the hunt is on....for rocks. I took some of the smaller river rocks from the place I dog sit at. They are used in the area where Sasha goes to the bathroom. After washing, they are the perfect shape for little things. My head is always down now, searching for just the right rock. More pics to come I'm sure.

Comments

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Grumpy said…
Those are really cool. I especially like the chicks, or are they ducks?
kden said…
I think they're chicks. I pit one on top of a carton of eggs in the store, ha
Valerie said…
How great is that for a hobby. I like the chicks but favourite is the house flying with the balloons. Casting the mind back I think I've seen samples of this hobby and I do remember a friend and I hunting for stones at the seaside. I don't think I ever found out what she did with them.
Mr. Shife said…
You did a great job, kden. I would love to find one these guys out in the wild. Sounds like a fun way to spend some time out and about. Take care and good luck with the new hobby.

Popular posts from this blog

Live isn't always best

Still Her Advocate

Exploding Snails