Strange Encounter
Recently I was grocery shopping for my Mom at her store and this guy comes out of the back. He didn't work there but rather worked for a company that was working on something there. Even though I hadn't seen him for almost 35 years, I recognized him immediately....as an old boyfriend.
He was my first serious bf after moving to Spokane. I was working at Zips and was only in the 18-21 year-old range. He was cheating on someone else with me and cheating on me with someone else. By the time I found out I was #2 it was too late, I was head over heels in love. I heard the promises of leaving #1 for me, "when the time was right." I wonder if #3 heard the same story.
Then some friends from work saw him at the county fair with #3 (could have even been #4 by then), and after much agonizing, I gave him the boot. I don't even remember how long we had been together and I knew it wasn't a relationship I should be in, but it was still very painful to let it go.
Seeing him brought up a lot of emotions because we did have some good times. But could I approach him? I thought about it and wandered through the store trying to determine if it was really him. I almost had myself convinced that it wasn't, but I knew better; some things you just can't forget, like the face of someone you loved so deeply. I doubt that he would have remembered me anyway (or pretended not to) which would have made me cry. So there was no reason to strike up a conversation just to relive some bad memories.
I just hope over the years he has become a better person and not continued to break girls' hearts.
He was my first serious bf after moving to Spokane. I was working at Zips and was only in the 18-21 year-old range. He was cheating on someone else with me and cheating on me with someone else. By the time I found out I was #2 it was too late, I was head over heels in love. I heard the promises of leaving #1 for me, "when the time was right." I wonder if #3 heard the same story.
Then some friends from work saw him at the county fair with #3 (could have even been #4 by then), and after much agonizing, I gave him the boot. I don't even remember how long we had been together and I knew it wasn't a relationship I should be in, but it was still very painful to let it go.
Seeing him brought up a lot of emotions because we did have some good times. But could I approach him? I thought about it and wandered through the store trying to determine if it was really him. I almost had myself convinced that it wasn't, but I knew better; some things you just can't forget, like the face of someone you loved so deeply. I doubt that he would have remembered me anyway (or pretended not to) which would have made me cry. So there was no reason to strike up a conversation just to relive some bad memories.
I just hope over the years he has become a better person and not continued to break girls' hearts.
Comments