Oh Shred

We only have one tree to deal with as far as raking. A big old Oak that reaps us about 10 bags. Our neighbor's Maple trees contribute some but only if the wind is blowing the right way. Then ours blow in the street, so it's about even. Every Veterans Day the high school sends out different groups to rake leaves up in the neighborhood. It took us a long time to remember not to do it ourselves and wait for them. The weather held up and stayed dry and our leaves were raked in less than an hour.

We don't send ours to the dump, rather mulch them up for our compost bin. In the spring, my husband dumps the bags on the lawn and runs the lawn mower over them several times. It's a lot of work and I was trying to find something to make it easier for him. Plus it's pretty hard on a mower and dulls the blade quickly. I did a lot of research and found a nice little chipper/shredder. It will take small branches and leaves of course.


When the leaves were raked and I ordered the machine it was still dry out. Then it rained for days. When we finally had the time to get to them, the leaves were wet; even bagged and turned upside down. We only got about halfway through a bag and the leaves clogged up twice. They looked like they went straight through without even chopping so we had to send them through again. The opening on the top is only about 4 inches wide so you can't fill it with large quantities. One handful at a time, they are pushed down with a special pusher, so of course you don't chop your hand off.


I am a little disappointed that we didn't have dry leaves to work with to see its true potential. It's not a one person job like the lawnmower is, one has to load, while the other one pushes. Now we have to wait 6 months before we can get at it again. I probably won't be in the mood then.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope your day is filled with fun and food and I guess football for those that like that kind of thing :)

Comments

Grumpy said…
Reminds me of Fargo.
kden said…
I remember that scene, thanks for the visual!
Valerie said…
I have several million leaves in the garden, just after the gardener who comes once a fortnight finishes his gardening duties for the season. Since I am no longer able to do such a job I am left wondering if the leaves will rot down on their own. I wish I had a machine like that, but I would still have to gather the leaves so I'd better stop wishing. I am definitely having a few trees lopped before next spring.
Mr. Shife said…
We used do it with the lawnmower because it was a little quicker than filling up 20 bags of leaves but this year we did it the old-fashioned way and filled up bags. I remembered rather quickly the other reason why we used the lawnmower: dog poop. What a mess. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny