No Can Do

My relationship with our neighbor has remained copasetic. He doesn't talk to me and I don't talk to him.

A few weeks ago he called and told my husband that if we had heard a dog barking it wasn't any of his. He said the new people next to them just got a pitbull and it was barking at 4:00 am. He said he was going to leave a note on their fence and if that didn't do the job, he was going to have to talk to them. As my husband was relaying this story to me I was grinning from ear to ear. A barking dog right under his bedroom window :) Karma is a bitch, ain't it?

Later that day I was getting some clothes off the line and I heard this meek little voice say, "Kden?"

I wasn't even sure it was him so I said "yes?"

"Can you ever forgive me? I totally understand if you can't but I just had to put it out there. I'm sorry I was so terrible to you and I feel very bad and really want to ask your forgiveness."

I had to move so I could look at him through the slats in the fence. Our eyes locked and I politely said, "No I really can't."

"That's fine, I understand, I'm just trying to be a better person."

"You say that, then you jump all over Hubby about the compost bin"

"It was just the opportune time when I saw him, and it was attracting rats."

Here is where I almost laughed. Since when do mice turn into rats? And yes, we have eradicated the problem. Killed us a LOT of mice!

He said he just didn't want to fight anymore and I thanked him and we bid each other goodnight. In a way I felt sorry for him. Sitting in his chair he looked like a shriveled up old man who has finally realized what a jerk he really is. When I told my husband about our conversation he asked if his speech sounded kind of slurred. We kind of surmised that maybe he's on some kind of medication because he certainly couldn't be drinking.

It was a nice gesture on his part and I do appreciate that he is working on his issues, but it's too little too late for my liking. Fifteen years of putting up with his verbal abuse cannot be wiped out with a beg for forgiveness.











Comments

Grumpy said…
Well, this should be interesting going forward.
Valerie said…
Fifteen years? Ye Gods! I think I would feel like you in that situation. Benefit of doubt sometimes works but not always.
Mr. Shife said…
Way to stand your ground, kden, and hopefully he continues to work on his issues. But you are definitely right that it's hard to forgive 15 years after his one apology. Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny