Weird Weekend

Father's Day weekend almost started with a bang and only got weirder. On Friday I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up some medication for my Mom. It was a quick trip in and out and as I was getting ready to pull forward, a big black SUV sped into the lot in front of me and almost hit a guy coming out of the store. I waited a minute then decided I better back up instead. A cop car raced in behind me and got out, gun drawn, and aimed at a vehicle 3 stalls down. I was trapped! There were 3 guns in all aimed at a guy in a truck and I cracked the window down enough to  hear "GET OUT, DOWN ON THE GROUND, HANDS ON YOUR HEAD."

I was slumped down in my seat, messaging my daughter giving her a play by play of the action. I wasn't really scared, but it could have gone south real quick. It was over in about 5 minutes and I was able to go on my way. I never did hear what it was about, just another day in Spokane I guess.

On Saturday we had been invited to a BBQ grad party of a neighbor girl. I wasn't too keen on going but thought it would be nice for us to get out. It was going to be at a park nearby but as soon as we walked out the door, it started to rain. We finally found them at a remote area of the park, huddled under a tree. They were trying to put up a makeshift lean-to, but the wind was blowing too so it wasn't working.

As we pulled into the lot, we saw our favorite neighbor. Oh shit, they were invited too. We stayed in our car, knowing this wasn't going to be much of a party. All of a sudden Curtis yells out that the party was moving to his house. Oh shit, was this a bad dream? Please wake me up.

The last thing in the world I would ever want to do, is walk in the house of my arch-nemesis. He probably felt the same. We waited at home awhile before walking next door. As people poured in, there was nowhere to go. Thankfully my husband parked himself on the couch and we joined him; there we sat like 3 bumps on a log. There was the couch, and some hard chairs, that's it. The rest just stood or milled around. We had brought a side dish, so we couldn't just leave. The party was mostly family members of the graduate. I recognized a few from past birthday parties when the girls were little but still not well enough to have a conversation.

Curtis was in the back yard grilling so I didn't have to see him and as soon as we ate, we grabbed our almost empty bowl and ran home. The Kid said it was probably the most uncomfortable she has ever been. At least she ate though, many times she can't if she's really nervous. I do give him props for stepping up and opening his home to everyone but I don't ever want to have to do that again.

Father's Day was boringly normal. The Kid and her dad went for a hike and I stayed home and got ready for our own grilled dinner. The Kid made her dad a scratch peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting. Hog Heaven!

I will take boringly normal anyday.




Comments

Grumpy said…
An almost shootout at the grocery. See, your life is exciting.
Valerie said…
I'm not sure which of the two incidents would have upset me the most, both were events to avoid methinks. I don't think I've ever seen someone with a gun, except on telly. Is my life boring, do you think?
Mr. Shife said…
At this point in my life, I will take boring as well. Unfortunately, Kyle, Hayden and Tank have a different for me. Hope you and the family have a nice 4th of July.
Mr. Shife said…
Me again. I forgot the word agenda after different.

Popular posts from this blog

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred

Merry Merry