Next Step

My Husband got a call from his Cardiologist with the results of his Holter Monitor. He said Hubby had 522 occurrences of extra beats during that 48 hours. He HIGHLY suggested that he does not wait until summer to have a heart catheterization done. Last week we went to the heart institute to talk to a PA and to schedule the procedure.

We got a lot more information from the PA (as usual) who fully explained what is going on. Hubby has Ventricular Tachycardia, which means the lower half of the heart has episodes of rapid beating often in the hundreds at a time. This is life threatening. At anytime, it could go into fibrillation, which can cause instant death ( I looked that part up myself). OK, he got our attention.

Tomorrow we will head back to the heart institute at the freaking hour of 5:30 am, so he can have the catheterization done. More than likely it will just be a diagnostic test to find out why this is happening. If it's a simple fix and a stent will work, that will take place then. If not, either meds or another procedure will happen at another time. There is a possibility of a him having to get an implantable defibrillator put in. In any case, there will be many more steps to come.

I feel like I'm writing about someone else's life. He has always been such a workhorse (his words). He can do hard physical yard work for hours, when I'm collapsing in an hour. He is otherwise in good condition (dare I say, for his age?) He will be 70 this fall and I'm sure that he can't bear the thought of slowing down, especially with things that he loves.




Comments

Grumpy said…
I have two friends who have had stents put in and it hasn't slowed them down. Here's hoping he will heal quickly and be better than new. My best wishes to all of you.
Anonymous said…
The medical community can do wonderful things now for people with heart issues. A friend of mine has a brother that has lived with the defibrillator for over 20 years, and he didn't slow down much. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you.
Valerie said…
The medical profession can do wonders these days. Praying for a fast healing process for your husband and strength for you.
Mr. Shife said…
I am glad that have it figured out what is going on and I am hopeful that whatever they have to do will help him out. Best of luck and good wishes sent to you and the hubby, kden.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........