Trick-Or-Treat

Thanks to my friend Anonymous for the Halloween idea.

I grew up in a small town and it was nothing to walk from one end of town to the other begging for candy. Costumes weren't fancy like they are now. We either wore the hard plastic masks or made our own. Oh, and we used pillowcases for our bounty, not little plastic pumpkins.

See, draw a mustache or a clown face and you're ready!
There was one house on the other side of town that everyone flocked to. The dad worked for Wonder Bread and they would pass out tiny little loaves of white bread. The buzz the next day was all about what the Weber family handed out. I can't imagine kids now getting excited about white bread.

Of course my Mom checked our bags for the 'razor blades' that were never found. My Dad inspected them too but I think he was just scoping out what he would be stealing when we went to bed.

When our daughter was young we would all walk, including our dog, around the neighborhood. Going a little further every year in all types of weather, she was shy but able to squeak out the mantra. One year we went to the mall for a 'safe' evening. It was quite boring walking store to store and after awhile she had enough and wanted to go back to the 'hood. She went to a house party once too but didn't enjoy it. She stopped trick-or-treating when she was about 11, thinking she was too old to continue. We still kind of miss those old days of shuffling through crunchy leaves on a cold night looking at all the cute little kids.

We live on a busy street so don't really get the traffic. If we do, it's either real little ones that live nearby, or those that look like they're old enough to graduate. I usually dig out the least favorite stuff for them.

Halloween has changed so much. You've got those dentists wanting to buy your candy for a buck a pound. Total ripoff! I would never trade in my loot for a couple of measly dollars. Now there's the teal pumpkins on the porch which signifies non-food treats safe for those with allergies. I think a kid would walk for miles looking for those houses. Just throw a party at home with foods they can eat.

I say, it's the one big candy holiday of the year. Let them get a gut ache to brag about. What's a cavity or two? Let them have their fun!

Comments

Grumpy said…
Teal pumpkins? Seriously?
Anonymous said…
I'm with you - if they can't overeat candy on one night a year, then when can they? I really wish Halloween could be like it was when we were young.
Valerie said…
We don't do Halloween now like you do in the States although we used to recognise it. I can't ever remember kids dressing up, though.

Trick and Treating got to be a problem here. Old people were insulted and sometimes attacked and, in my case, the glass in my new porch was ruined. So much whatever-it-was was daubed on the windows and we could never get it off. Plus, an urn of pampas flowers was stolen from the porch. Thankfully we don't get trick or treaters now. I guess the police warnings put them off.
kden said…
Grumpy: The teal pumpkin was started last year by the Food Allergy & Research Education. Nice idea but I still think houses would be few and far in-between.

Anon: I miss the good old days too, in more than one way :)

Val: I can't imagine going through all of that for Halloween! I would have shut it down too.
Mr. Shife said…
Happy Halloween, kden. I didn't know about the teal pumpkins. I remember those old plastic masks. You would get so hot and sweaty, and then the rubber string would break and snap you on the head. Ouch. Good times. The kiddos are pretty excited to go trick-or-treating, and it looks like the weather is going to cooperate so it should be a good night.

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Merry

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred