Shhhhh, Quiet

I've noticed that for the past several years I have wanted my immediate surroundings quieter and quieter. I have not listened to the radio in my car or house for years. On vacation it's fine or if someone else wants to turn some music on in the house, it's OK for awhile. Then it starts to bug me.

I watch local news and GMA in the morning and then turn it off until evening news and our usual lineup for the rest of the evening. My Mom has the TV on all day, partly to drown out her tinnitus. But I usually turn it down because it's too loud for me.

I'm very content to sit around and not converse with anyone and enjoy being alone. I am capable of having conversations with people; when I'm at my Mom's we talk all day. But at night, at home, I don't like a lot of chatter. If my Husband is just jabbering away I usually just give one word responses. I'm not trying to be rude, and if we have something important to discuss I will.

Same with when our daughter comes home for the weekend. I love it when she comes home and she has a lot of chatting to do. But I swear after about an hour, my ears start feeling like they're going to bleed. It's not her, it's me. I've gotten used to the quiet since she's been at college and it takes me awhile to get used to it again.

Maybe my nerves are shot from listening to My Lady talk non-stop for 9 years at 6 hours a day three times a week. Do the math.

Maybe I've heard it all and said it all.

Maybe I'm just an old FuddyDud.

But mostly, I'm OK with it. My Sweet Deaf Nellie and I can just sit around in total silence and be glad in it.






Comments

D. Duplessis said…
I hope I'm not disturbing your peace and quiet I just wanted to pop 'round and share a couple of quotes from these two fellas:

Silence is a true friend who never betrays.
- Confucius

Silence is a source of great strength.
- Lao Tzu
Grumpy said…
I vote for FuddyDud.
Valerie said…
There is nothing like peace and quiet. I rarely watch television and sometimes listen to radio, but the relief when I switch off is amazing. I sometimes think about the future, like when I'm alone, and wonder ... but I know I shall cope with the quietness.
Mr. Shife said…
I enjoy the silence too, but then again I have a 6-year-old, a 3 year-old and a fat basset who seem to be contestants on "That's Not Loud. This is Loud!" Take care kden.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........