Normal?

Whenever my mom and I are together we usually find ourselves talking about my brothers and/or their wives. It's not always bad, she just keeps me in the loop about what they're up to since I don't talk to them as much as she does.

Then I came to the realization that she is talking about me and my family to them also. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Sometimes I will tell her things and have to make a point to say, "I don't want them knowing about this." Some things are frankly none of their business.

A few weeks ago I was at Mom's and my younger brother called. I could tell by her answers that he was asking about my daughter and how she was going to pay for her apartment and if she's working. I felt like grabbing the phone and answering his questions myself. "Uh, it's called Financial Aid and it's hard to have a job when you have no license/car." For someone that has never had a kid, I'm sure he has all kinds of advice.

But my mom and I have plenty of unasked-for advice for them and their spouses, even if it's just between us. Hubby and I have our own beefs with his kids/spouses and tell each of them about it too. I'm glad I only had one kid or I'd be doing the same with her sibling also.

Is this normal behavior or are we just a family of opinionated, judgmental, boobs?

Comments

Grumpy said…
Sounds normal to me. That's how families work, at least in my experience.
Claire M. King said…
My family has many advice givers as well. When my sisters and I were together this summer, I chuckled often at their game of trying to bestow the best advice. It was suggestion after suggestion at times. Cracked med up! (and of course, I kept my mouth shut the whole time...haha.)
Valerie said…
It's normal behaviour in my family, too. I learned the heard way not to talk about something I don't want passed on.
D. Duplessis said…
Oh yeah. That's really normal. I'm fairly sure that most families the world over talk sht (both positive & negative sht) about each other.
Mr. Shife said…
Sounds like family life to me too. I am just as guilty about giving advice about my brother or sister to my relatives. I am not really proud of it but it just seems like it is par for the course.

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........

Meet Benny