Who's That Lady?

Beautiful Lady. Who's that lady? Lovely Lady. Who's that lady? Real Fine Lady.


I ran across this picture recently and it kind of took my breath away. I've seen many pictures of This Lady before but never this one. It looks like it could have been an ad straight out of a magazine of its time. OK, maybe a cigarette ad, but still. It was taken in 1953 when she was 22, and five years before I met her. And even when I did finally meet her, I never got to see this side of her.

If you haven't figured out who This Lady is yet; she is my Mom. If the year on the back is correct, she had a 1 year old running around (my brother), but sure doesn't look like it. As children we only get to see the Mom Lady and never the people they used to be before they became parents. After I scanned it, I sent it to my daughter, who said "That's Grandma?!" Grandchildren never get to see their Grandparents as vibrant young adults. When I was finally old enough to understand who my Grandparents were, they were already old! That's why old family pictures are so awesome, they give us a peek into the past. I'm very fortunate that my entire family on both sides had a love of photography and keeping the past alive through them.

Maybe some day when my daughter is old she will look back at pictures of me and think that her old Mom wasn't half bad looking in her day.

I had a great time looking through her pictures and only got about half way. These are a few more I put on Facebook for her.

Three generations at about 2 years of age; 1933, 1960, and 1997
I loved this one too. My Mom was about 7 on the dairy farm her family owned in Washington state, with her two sheep, Mary and Bo Peep.


The next time I go to That Lady's house I'll be going through more pictures and might even bring a little more history home to scan.

Comments

Grumpy said…
I sometimes spend hours looking at old family pictures even though I've seen them all before.

You have to believe in genetics after looking at the three generations side by side.
Mr. Shife said…
It really put things into perspective when you become a parent because I just assumed my parents were always the way they were when I came along but how mistaken I was. Seeing the pics of them before me really reinforced that and I'm sure it will be the same with my kiddos. They will just think Mr. Shife was always a grumpy old man but I'll have to break out the pictures to prove them wrong. Enjoy your weekend, kden.
Claire M. King said…
I love filtering through pictures

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers