She Works Out

When my Husband got laid off last fall, the first thing to go was my Curves membership. I wasn't going much anyway so it wasn't that much of a loss. But lately I've been wanting to do something, just knew that I didn't want to go back to Curves.

Hubby has a new Medicare plan and has Silver Sneakers (free membership) like Grumpy. He looked at the list of clubs and saw the Y was on there. He called and got some info and said I could come as his guest at 10 bucks a pop. Doing that at only four times a month would cost me as much as any other membership. All he's only really interested in is a hot tub and sauna so I started looking around on my own.

There were two clubs close to me who also are on the Silver Sneakers list. If something isn't 10 minutes away from me, I know I wouldn't go, so that narrowed my choices. So we had Snap Fitness or Anytime Fitness to choose from. I looked at both website and Facebook sites to help me make up my mind. They seemed very comparable and each was having some type of a special. I visited Anytime Fitness and figured it was pretty good. They have a virtual room where you can choose classes from a computer and they play on a big screen, it just seemed to add to the whole experience. But Snap Fitness's 'special' gave me the best laugh I've had in awhile. This was actually on their website and when I called to tell them about it, I couldn't even say the word, just told him where to find it so they could fix it.


I convinced my Husband to meet me at Anytime so we could both sign up at the same time. He did his paperwork first and as she hands him his swipe card she told him to make sure he takes advantage of it because that's the only way they get paid (from Medicare). He actually told her that he probably won't use it much, it was mostly for me. I was so embarrassed. Even though we have a treadmill at home and he has weights he uses, I thought it might be nice to go together occasionally. 

I had my freebie training session so she could show me how to use some of the machines. But really, the session is used to try and get you to pay for more training. I wasn't interested though so she walked me through on how to set the weights and seat/arm settings. The machines are so darn BIG and setting them each time is very confusing. I tried the elliptical one day and thought I was going to die, only lasted 10 minutes. I also tried the stair stepper thingy and only lasted 2 minutes after my regular workout. I am so out of shape and my legs were jiggly stumps of jello. The machines were so much easier at Curves, smaller with resistance pumps so you could just jump on and go.

But I'm still at it, it will get easier. They do have TV you can watch while using the treadmills, bikes, and ellipticals or I can watch videos on my Kindle because of free WiFi. The variety is nice and there's no reason to be bored.

My husband has actually come with me a few times and he seemed to enjoy it. We tried a virtual class last week but it was kind of an intro to the whole set and we looked like a couple of buffoons because she was going through each piece of equipment real fast and by the time we found it, she was on to the next. We finally turned it off and I got on something easy like the treadmill.

I'm going 5-6 times a week and my Doctor just told me I am pre-diabetic so I guess I'm in the right place at exactly the right time.

Comments

Grumpy said…
Silver Sneakers is the best. I admire your dedication. Keep it up.
Mr. Shife said…
Nice job, kden. Glad you found a good place to exercise. Keep it up.
fernvalley01 said…
Good for you, nice if hubby will go but if you are like me you will go by yourself, I asked mine to swim with me, but it really isn't his thing so ...

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Merry

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred