Double Trouble

A few weeks ago one of My Lady's caregivers had to go out of town to take care of her own mother after surgery. Plus another girl quit to go to another job. So that left 3 of us to cover roughly 168 hours of care. We had to do our own shifts plus pick up the slack for the other two missing girls.

I'm the one that works the least hours and I'm happy with that. I've have had to deal with the most (I'm also the oldest). They were all hired to work around my schedule. But I still wanted to step up, pull my share, and pick up some more hours. I volunteered to do double shifts on Monday and Wednesday, 12 hours instead of 6.

Although she is doing better mentally, it is still a long day. After my normal 6 hours I was doing good but then I started getting tired, and damn bored. Sitting at the table chatting for 6-8 hours is so hard. I would get up and do things from time to time just to peel my butt off the chair and cut the roots that had grown into it. After dinner I start yawning. I had my Kindle, but with no wifi I can just play a few games or read. She doesn't like it when the other girls read but I didn't care. I wasn't going to sit there after dinner for 3 more hours and twiddle my thumbs. I mean if you were babysitting a child and the kid was content after dinner and watching TV, reading would be an appropriate activity I think. She wants all attention on her, even if she has fallen asleep in her chair. She watches very little TV; Wheel Of Fortune and Antique Roadshow, then the TV goes off. So what else is there to do?

By 9 pm I was very ready for my replacement. Not only is she taking over for the girl that quit (12 hours), she's also doing a 24 hour shift for the girl out of town. That's 36 hours straight!! She did that twice that week as well as working her own hours. I felt so bad for her but had no intention of jumping in more to help. I've got at least 15 years or more on all of those girls and don't need to be working 12 or 24 hour shifts, even for a week. It's not comfortable working in someone else's home, especially at night. You can't put your jammies on at 8:00, you can't curl up on the couch and kick your shoes off, you can't rummage around the kitchen for a snack, you can't surf the net, you can't laugh out loud at sitcoms, and you definitely can NOT burp or fart.

I was so glad to get home and put my feet up for a few minutes before I crashed in bed. Even Nellie was looking for me wondering why I wasn't home yet. I wasn't worth anything for each day after those doubles, but by Friday I was back and that normal short day went by very fast. She even took me out to lunch so it was a nice way to end the Double Trouble week.

Comments

Grumpy said…
I couldn't stay awake doing a double shift.
Claire M. King said…
Good or you for helping anyway. Those long shifts are rough. Your Lady must have a lot of money because that 24 hour care is expensive. I'm glad is able to keep you employed.
fernvalley01 said…
I used to work twelves all the time, and to be honest I was useless after about 10 hours, just marking time till I was done . I tried but I dont think we are built for it . I did do a few doubles in that time, overnight shifts etc but I have to say, you girls are awesome for taking it on

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........

Meet Benny