New Toy 2015

As with almost every year I get a new toy of some kind, nothing horribly expensive but just a little splurge for myself or the family.

You are probably thinking, "Another damn device for you Kden? Really, how many computers and tablets do you need?"

I did buy a tablet but it was a Christmas gift for The Kid. Other than her computer all she had was a hand-me-down IPod from her brother, which now has a cracked screen. Her and her boyfriend don't have cable and rely on their computers to watch movies or whatever through his TV. I knew she would enjoy a tablet to watch TV shows that she can't otherwise see anymore. She do love her TV! She also likes to play our games when she comes home; games don't play that well on an IPod. It's not a Kindle, but rather a Monster which has its own issues and isn't even for sale anymore through their website so I never even got to register it. But it was on sale, ha. She was disappointed at first that it wasn't a Kindle but I think she likes it and she'll use it until it fails, then we'll think about a Kindle.

But back to me.....When we were at my Mom's on Christmas Eve my brother brought his crockpot/pressure cooker to make home made Mac n Cheese in 6 minutes! Well, it doesn't take much to impress me and I thought that was pretty cool. I asked him what brand it was later while I was doing searches. I ran across this little beauty though, the Instant Pot 7-in-1 model which can pressure cook/slow cook, as well as brown, cook rice, steam and warm, and even make some damn yogurt!! I was sold....and even better that it was on sale on Amazon.

Reading the manual was like reading something for a car. So many darn buttons, it was very confusing. But you just have to jump in and try something. First, we boiled water....that was a success. Then we hard boiled eggs....two cracked so just made a few adjustments to the next batch.

The next thing we tackled was chicken stock for soup the next day. Although it doesn't fill the house with the wonderful aroma of homemade soup, it was excellent. Then we made Chicken Enchilada Soup and Pork Chops with Cabbage.

Although I cook more simply since The Kid left, I still like to make a big meal on Sundays for leftovers. I'm drooling over all of the recipes I've found online. I think it was a good investment and I'm looking forward to getting some good use out of it.

Maybe yogurt next year for Christmas dinner?

Comments

Grumpy said…
Now I know to "drop in" on Sundays.

fernvalley01 said…
very cool! I will have to look into that!
Mr. Shife said…
Very cool indeed. I might have to do some research as well because that gadget kicks some serious butt. Have a good one, kden.
Claire M. King said…
Nice. I just have my basic crock pot.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

March Doings