College Survival Basket

When I graduated from high school, my Mom put together a basket for me with all of the essentials a new college student would need. I went straight to an apartment instead of a dorm so maybe the items she packed were more geared for that. To be honest I don't even remember what she put in my basket but I thought it was cool, and as my daughter has grown I always knew I wanted to do the same thing.

The basket my Mom used was an old produce basket and she painted it white.
One little space was left untouched where one of us kids drew a cute little house. The basket must be at least 40 years old, but it's still in good shape.

I started buying supplies at the beginning of summer and by the end of August it was so full I could hardly lift it; it weighed in at 32.6 lbs.  I've got it packed full of laundry soap/softener, towels and wash cloths, umbrella with EWU logo, EWU logo'd pen and pencils, snacks and drinks galore, fruit cups, Top Ramen, small cereal boxes, peanut butter, food storage containers, bag of chocolate chips (VERY necessary), toothpaste/floss, gum and tic tacs, and Kleenex.

We wanted to make a special day out of it, so I marked September 1st on the calendar, with 'Special Day' written in the square. I love to keep secrets and it was torturous for her but fun as heck for me! I baked a cake and we broke open a bottle of artisan apple cider we picked up in Cashmere.

I bought this card for her and her Dad bought his own. Inside I wrote: This is a College Survival Basket, with the idea passed down from your Grandma; as she did the same for me 38 years ago. It may just look like a dumb ol' basket to you, but it's packed with essentials that you won't find on any college list. Have fun looking at everything I think you will need to start your new life. But what you might not be able to see is that this basket was made with the most important thing of all...Love 
So make sure you take that with you too! Damn I'm good.........

INSIDE: ME NO LIKEY
After a nice BBQ dinner, hubby brought the basket up from its hiding place in the basement. We made her close her eyes; just like Christmas but without a tree. She didn't want to read the cards because she thought she would cry, but I made her anyway. One by one she pulled the items out and grinned, especially at the chocolate chips. We go through about a bag a week in this house! It was a nice surprise and I could tell she really enjoyed it.


So she's got a good start to stocking her new home for the next 9 months. I hope the little touches from home will help her feel like she's bringing a piece of us with her.

Comments

Grumpy said…
The perfect way to start her college life.
fernvalley01 said…
you are an awesome mom
bill said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Shife said…
So awesome kden. A great way for her to start off life as a college student and a wonderful tradition to keep alive. Well done indeed. Take care.
Claire M. King said…
Absolutely perfect, kden. She seems as whole-hearted as you and will surely appreciate it, often. What an exciting time! Brings back such memories. If you check out my blog, you will see another major stepping stone to look forward to.
Claire M. King said…
You are a wonderful person and mom. I am so glad we know each other.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........