Dragging

I hate my inner clock. It is so dead on, that any deviation from the norm throws my sleep cycle into a frenzy. I set my alarm for 5:15 every morning except weekends. Who wouldn't love to sleep in on the weekends? Although I still wake up at 5:15, I sometimes fall back asleep or just catnap until 6:30 or 7:00.

But by the time Sunday night comes I can't sleep because I've gotten too much sleep over the weekend. If I can't fall asleep in my usual 15-20 minutes, I'm screwed. Then my head starts spinning and I can't turn it off. This was my night last Sunday. I made it a point to be in bed by 10:00, my usual bed time, but it sure didn't make any difference.

Heard my radio go off of its 20 minute sleep mode.

WHOMP...heard the furnace come on. I'm usually asleep at this point so it only mildly wakes me. Since my bedroom is right next to the furnace room, it scared the Hell out of me.

Still awake at 11:00, I growl at my clock. WHOMP....furnace comes on again. Toss and turn and thoughts of college apps, money, financial aid, and lack of money, spin in my head.

Toss and turn and flop my covers around because I'm cold. Then my heart starts its palpitation dance, like it's been doing for the past 3 weeks or so. When I use my arms for anything, including exercise or re-arranging my covers it starts and takes sometimes a half an hour to stop. That stresses me out and it does it more.

11:55 dammit! I get up and go to the desktop computer in the family room. Sometimes it relaxes me and I get sleepy. But all I got was cold. I got back into bed at 12:30 hoping my rice packs were still warm. They were, but only slightly. My nose is freezing so I get up and turn my little oil heater on low. Even though I'm right next to the furnace room, my room is cold because the vent is closed off. I could open the furnace door but then it would be really loud and that's where the ghosts live, so the door is staying shut!

While getting back into bed I lost one of my earplugs in the covers, so every time I turn over I have to switch my earplug to the ear that's not on my pillow. I am a very complicated and strange person, I know.

1:00 am has come and gone. Now I'm hot so I get up and turn off the heater. Finally after Two I fall asleep but it's mostly cat napping. I wake up several times before my loving alarm clock goes off, right on cue.

I drag my butt upstairs and the rest of the day it drags lower and lower. I can't even go to Zumba because I'm afraid I'll get run over--or fall over. By bedtime I'm more than ready. I take my usual Advil and even a Benadryl to make sure that I'll sleep.

I guess I'll have to start getting up earlier on the weekends; but dang doesn't that just suck?

Comments

Grumpy said…
A shot of booze before bedtime might help.
fernvalley01 said…
I hate nights like that , hope you catch up on some rest
bill said…
That's a tough one. I have those nights, the difference being I don't have to get up and go to work. It doesn't matter if I get a good night's sleep or I'm up most of the night. Sometime a relaxing shot of your favorite beverage might help as long as you don't get dependent on it. December is a bad month when more people have the problem you described. I have a friend who is hooked on sleeping pills. He can't sleep when he don't take them, he becomes a zombie. He's addicted. I think your problem will go away on it's own if you can tough it out. Hell, what do I know and here I am writing a book. Good luck.
"Feel Like Complaining" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-sunday-drive.html
Claire King said…
I can so relate to these sleepless times. I hate them I have found reading a book for a bit makes the eyelids heavy.
Peruby said…
"...and that's where the ghosts live..."

LOL! I can so relate to that! I hate the furnace and its noises.

It is stressful getting a child ready for college and the holidays.

Try a mantra at bedtime. Memorize a paragraph or two of something special and say it over and over again. Or write your own.

Every time your mind deviates from it, smile and say to yourself "it takes time" and start saying the mantra over and over again.

Make it a positive one! Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........

Meet Benny