Sprouts, Sprouts, I Love Sprouts!

Sprouts are just not for hippies anymore! We used to do it years ago with the jar and strainer lid. And I don't even know what got me started this time. I must have seen a link on Facebook to Amazon and the few sprouting items they offer.

First I ordered a 4-tray sprouting tray and a package of assorted seed blends. Garbanzo, Pea, Lentil, Adzuki, Radish, Clover, Mustard, Mung, Fennel and Kamut Wheat are just a few seeds offered. The tray is easy to use and in 5 to 7 days I've got fresh sprouts. And they taste so much better than the ones you buy in the store. Mostly I just use them in salads....and I eat a lot of salad. So far I like them all except the Adzuki bean, it's just a little too bitter for me. Because each seed matures at a different rate, I always have a fresh batch to work with. It can be a bit time consuming because I have to rinse them three times a day; but it's so worth it.

I now find myself perusing sprouting websites and actually making myself hungry. I wanted something really spicy and ordered the brown mustard/chinese radish mix. I couldn't wait to get them started and after harvesting the first batch, they were soooo good. The strong radish taste hits right away and then the mustard flavor kicks in.

I think I can hear Grumpy laughing at me from clear across the country......

But I don't care, it's my crack of choice now. Sprout Crack, yep that's it.

Comments

bill said…
Good for you. We've got our own mini- garden growing with good results.
Grumpy said…
I'm not laughing, I'm intrigued. I'm going to try it.
Claire King said…
It is always good to try something new. I love alfalfa sprouts on sandwiches rather than lettuce. Yum.
kden said…
Grumpy, I get my seeds and trays at http://www.sprouthouse.com/
I thought you meant brussel sprouts. I like them. I like them best, cooked until they are soggy.
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.
D. Duplessis said…
I love sprouts! Never really considered growing them until now, thanks Kden!
kden said…
Well, don't that just beat all. I thought I'd have people laughing in the aisles over my lil sprouts!

John, I like brussel sprouts too but can't eat them mushy, they make me gag. I cut them in half and cook them till just done and then fry them with garlic in olive oil. That's the Italian way--I do green beans the same way.
Looks entirely too healthy for my fat butt.
Simon O'Corra said…
This is a great post
I am 52 year old englishman living in rural France and I like being grumpy sometimes

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

March Doings