Husbands Own Language

Bill wrote a post recently and mentioned the term "here's the skinny" and how it came about. My husband has his own language when he describes things. Some are real, some made up. Laugh along with me as I give you his phrases and the definition.

Chesterfield--couch.

Push ana Pull--the act of vacuuming.

The left hand don't know what the right hand's doing--to describe his bosses, or anybody in authority.

Set a spell--go to the bathroom.

Wanna take a rassle?--When his kids were little this is how he would ask if they wanted to wrestle.

I don't know what in the Hell's going on--When he has an ache or pain of any kind even if it's been going on for years, he will have the same comment when he feels it.

Plum or Plumb, not really sure--He uses this word for only two phrases; to say "I'm plum full or I plum forgot."

I'm fixin' to...-- Anytime he is going to DO something, he says "I'm fixin' to go to the store."

Give a call--Instead of telling someone to "give me a call" he says "give a call."


Must be broke--This must be one of my favorites. It's used anytime he can't get something to work and it's usually when it's his fault something doesn't work. So in essence....it "Must Be Broke."

He also says something that I can't find in the Italian translation, maybe it's a slang term. But it's (to the best of my non-Italian spelling) Etteda Dingada which to him means "enough already".

You would think he's Southern by some of the things he says, but he's not and never lived there either. He's Italian, and being so, he cannot talk without using his hands. When he says certain things he always has the same hand gestures.

Down the road-arm at chest height with palm down but close to body. Smoothly push your hand away from you in a swooping motion as if your hand is going 'down the road'.

Bread-when telling a waitress that you'd like some bread, make a chopping motion with your hand, that means sliced bread.

Bowl of whatever-the same waitress will know that you want a bowl of anything if you cup your hands when asking for said item; usually you will be asking for extra sauce or Mizithhra cheese.

There are so many of these hand gestures but I would need to study him for several months to get them all down, and I do have a life you know. But what's fun to watch is when he's on the phone. Last night he was talking to his son asking if he could come over and change a lightbulb on the stairway landing. As he's talking from his chair, he's pointing in the direction of the stairway as if his son can see this. Who needs TV, I get my comedy fix just by watching him.


Comments

bill said…
The gesturing is a cultural thing. I don't think Italians can help themselves. I was thinking the only place you hear "I'm fixing to " do something is down in Texas. That's a common saying there. Most of the others I have heard save maybe the chesterfield=couch thing. That sounds like something one might pick up from a long ago TV program. It sounds like you've got a colorful guy on your hands. I think the deal is not the idioms we use, but our ability to communicate that is most important.
But then what do I know?
Terry said…
My husband talks in "code" also, he's 100% Sicilian....although his code language sounds like he's an ex-con....which he is not, to the best of my knowledge. Shit. I might have to google him now. But, yes, I know the gestures all too well!
Grumpy said…
I object to the post label "not so bright husband". It seems you understand what he's communicating.
kden said…
Oh there ya go again Grumpy, stickin' up for the menfolk. And Bill, I think Chesterfield is an East coast thing. Terry, thanks for stopping by!
D. Duplessis said…
Too funny. He sounds just like my Grandfather, who was of Irish decent but used a lot of the same phrases as your husband. So those phrases and talking with your hands are something I can totally relate to.
Claire King said…
Got such a chuckle out of this post, kden. Hopedully you relay them with a smile.

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Merry

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred