Give A Short Older Lady A Hand, Will Ya?

I don't know why I've just started noticing this but many times recently I'm having trouble reaching stuff on the top shelves at the store. When did the shelves get so tall?

I look around for a clerk; none to be found. I look for something in the aisle I can use to pull an item closer. Like today I tried using a back scrubber brush; all I accomplished is knocking the item down. Tall men walk right past me, even when I step on the lower shelf, try to jump and mutter loudly, "Shit!"

That means I have to hunt somebody down, and it's usually a short girl just like myself. But they're younger and step on that bottom shelf and launch themselves up with ease. I'm always afraid of breaking the shelf and that would land me in more trouble than knocking a few things down. The only one that ever helped me was a woman; taller and older, but still she helped.

I realize that clerks cannot be in every aisle, but I shouldn't have to walk the entire store looking for someone either. I suggest to anyone that helps me that they should put 'grabbers', like older people use or little step-stools in every aisle. They just giggle like I'm kidding. I most seriously am not.

Comments

bill said…
They are common frustrations, reaching something up high and finding a store employee when you need one.
fernvalley01 said…
I have the same problem, and I swear you could swing a cat in most stores and never get anyone's attention
Anonymous said…
I too have that problem. One time they sent a boxboy who was shorter than me, and all he managed to do was to fling the bottle of peach juice against the opposite shelf, breaking it and spreading peach juice all over us.
Peruby said…
I have one grocery store where you cannot find any employee help anywhere and I, too have to walk all over the store in search of the elusive employee.

And another where they are all over the place. I shop at the one with the "help".
Grumpy said…
Come on, think outside the box; take a step stool with you to the store.
Breathe said…
You need to carry a loud whistle (I have a built one and can out whistle everyone I know). You'd be SHOCKED at how fast they will run to give you a hand.
kden said…
Yea Grumpy, then other people would think that I worked there and would be asking ME for help.

And peach juicy lady, that's pretty funny ;-)

Breathe, my built in whistle is pathetic.
Claire King said…
I am proud to say, when I see someone of "your stature" (lol!)in need, I help. Hec, I have even had conversations with folks in stores when theay are looking for specific products. But I do relate to the lack of associates' help in most stores.
bill said…
Kden, Are you getting any snow out there or is this being overplayed.
kden said…
Bill, it was a bit overplayed in our immediate area. We only had about 4 inches today. A little south it was worse and definately worse on the other side of the state where Claire lives. Thanks for thinking of me!

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Merry

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred