My Cold Weather Best Friends

When the cold weather hits, my best friends come out. Put to bed since last Spring, it's now time for them to do their job. Their only job is to keep me warm. They live to service me and I don't freeze at night because of them. We need each other.

These may look like disgusting old bags full of.....who knows? But to me, they are beautiful. Scraps of fabric sewed and then filled with rice or beans (I prefer rice), and heated in the microwave, keep me toasty warm.

Even when I wasn't a basement dweller, my rice packs were a must in the winter time. I used to only use one at my feet but sometimes my body would be cold, so now I'm a two bagger. One wraps around my feet and I lie the other one next to me. Within 15 minutes I can push them aside, unless I wake up cold during the night and then pull them near again. Kind of sounds like a hubby substitute, doesn't it? Everyone in our family uses them too though; and my daughter will heat hers up as soon as she gets home from school and keep it in her lap while she does homework.

Now, I just had a Deja Vu moment; I swear I've written about this before. If I have and you remember it, just move along. Geez I swear I'm starting to repeat myself more and more and if I start doing that with my blogging.....ugh.

Anyway, nothing feels better than a cold room, flannel sheets, and my nice hot rice packs at night. Well, Taylor Kitsch would make it WAY more better but I'll take what I can get.

Comments

Grumpy said…
What a marketing idea. Life size rice bags imprinted to look like Taylor Kitsch. Or Pamela Anderson. Too big for the microwave; where can we warm them?
fernvalley01 said…
I have used those and when camping I filled pop bottle with hot water to put in my sleeping bag . Nothing better than a warm snug bed and a cool face
kden said…
I like the idea of a pop bottle Fern. Years ago while camping, my mom told me to heat a large rock by the fire and use it. It was cold and damp out so that's exactly what I got, a lukewarm damp rock. That's probably the last time I camped.
bill said…
I've never used rice or beans but I expect they'd work okay, long enough to get your feet warm. Long ago and far away in a very cold place I used hand warmers. Rub them and they generate heat. Took them to bed in sleeping bag and carried a pair in jacket pockets. Worked great.

I don't think you're repeating anything but I haven't been around long. Your new color scheme is bright and cheerful, but I hope you tire of it soon. I find it hard to read. Cheers.
kden said…
*Sorry* It'll just be around through the holidays Bill. Thought it looked like Christmas lights to me and since Claire took the only snow picture... ha.
bill said…
Never thought about Christmas. We have another one of those this year? I'll have to check my calender. Your site is okay. Cheers.
D. Duplessis said…
Do you ever use the rice? "Well, these have been warmed up enough...time to eat 'em!"
kden said…
David, I have emptied them to make new ones and the rice was all brown and shriveled. I dumped the rice in the compost and started over. Gross...

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny