Pig Out

Corn Dogs, Ice Cream, Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Gourmet Grilled Cheese, Elk Burgers, Funnel Cakes, Pizza and much more. No, not the county fair but the once a year Labor Day celebration of Pig Out in the Park. Going on its 32nd year, the foodie festival has fed an estimated 2.5 million people.
Last Saturday night we headed downtown to Riverfront Park to partake in the Pig Out. The kid didn't want to go but once I mentioned grilled cheese sandwiches, she was more willing. I like the ethnic diversity of the booths so you're able to try something a little different than you normally would. We usually just get a few things and share it. Of course daughter got the French Onion grilled cheese sandwich with Greyer cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms, she loved it. Hubby and I shared a pulled pork sammie and some grit fries. They're not really fries at all, just sticks of deep fried corn bread or something like that. I wasn't too crazy about them. I wanted to try an elk burger but hubby said that as he gets older he can't really handle eating animals like that. I had to remind him that he just ate some pig. 

After we finished round one, we just walked around and enjoyed the show. The people that is. Sometimes it's like looking at those Walmartian emails we all get.

The weather was decent, warm but with those cool Fall undertones. Little kids were playing in the fountain but shivering all the same.
We continued on the one of 3 areas housing concerts. We didn't really know who was playing but just wanted to sit and listen to some music. This year there were 82 concerts on three stages so we found the closest one under the clock tower and had a seat.


We didn't bring our camping chairs but just a blanket. Mama isn't too comfy on a hard ground so soon daughter and I got up to walk around again. Like cattle heading back to the barn, we were in search of more food. An elephant ear was requested from hubby and I wanted ice cream, something I haven't had in a long time. So we fought back through the crowds and came back sticky. The crowd was starting to build for the next show so we settled in and enjoyed our goodies.
The next band was someone my daughter has heard on the radio but I had never heard of them. And of course after 30 minutes they still hadn't played the one song she knew so we decided to head out. My butt was numb and my back hurt. As I got up, I said to the woman behind me, "I'm too old for this." We saw some people in front of us sitting in some portable stadium seats. I declared that next time we will have some of those.

As we're heading over the bridge to the car the last light of the day was almost gone and the reflection on the very low river was pretty.

We were in a hotel pay lot and the only way out is to use a credit card. I knew this so made sure we had one. The darn machine would not take it though, it kept telling us to turn it over, and over, and over. Then finally it said it could not be verified. Someone was behind us and before we had a whole line waiting to get out I walked back to the guy and told him we were stupid to get out and asked if he could back up so we could too. Then hubby went to the hotel lobby to pay cash and when he finally came back he handed me all the money and said parking was on the house for the trouble.

Nice meals and a nice deal along with much music and food. A good way to spend an evening.

Comments

fernvalley01 said…
Looks like a great evening and the food sounds wonderful!
Grumpy said…
Sounds like the perfect way to end summer.
ethelmaepotter! said…
That river shot is amazing, and I love the name of the festival...Pig Out!

I just got around to reading your last several posts, and as a postal worker, I can say that I am disgusted by that carrier's attitude. I've never heard of any such law in my life! If our carrier didn't deliver when doors are open or dogs are out, we'd NEVER get mail. Our neighbor has two large pit bulls - and they run loose. They've already killed a neighborhood cat and attacked my dogs, but the mail carrier? He keeps on.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night." Hmmph. Maybe not, but your carrier certainly lets a sweet dog stop him from his appointed rounds.
D. Duplessis said…
Any event featuring lovely pork products served outdoors is a great way to spend the day!
Loren said…
What a great way to spend an autumn evening. May have only been better, had you said that after the concert you were catching fire-flys.

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Merry

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred