Surprise Birthday Party

My mom turned 80 last week and I had a brilliant idea a few months ago that my brothers and I should get together and surprise her this past weekend. Trying to corral two men  boys into helping throw a party is not an easy task.

This is part of a email conversation between older brother and I:

ME: Well, I guess it's time to start planning mom's bd. Did we decide on Saturday the 9th? I think we planned late lunch or early dinner because E. will be coming from camping.

So now we have to decide what to eat and if we want to make it a surprise or let her in on it. I thought I would bring an ice cream cake. I have already bought her a present (large pot filled with succulents) so I can't go in on anything with you guys.

Anything else to think about?

HIM: SINCE E. HAS THE TRAVEL, HE SHOULD PICK THE TIME OF THE MEAL, AS FOR THE PLACE, IT NEEDS TO BE WHERE MOM IS COMFY. LIKE CHILI'S, LONGHORN, RED LOBSTER, THE DAVENPORT OR A GAY BAR DOWNTOWN.

ME: I thought we were just going to her house? Or are you just messin' with me? I never know when you're kidding.

HIM: I DO NOT REMEMBER THE LAST CONVERSATION, THAT WAS OVER 30 DAYS AGO. I THINK. OK, NOT THE GAY BAR

ME: E.....get in here! I think it would be easier for alllllll to go to her place. Maybe someone should ask her if she had a choice what would she like to do. Trouble is, she's hard to get a straight answer out of too. Must be where you get it

HIM: who, you? where is my little brother when you need him? help!!!!your sister is beating me up________________________

So you see what I was up against.  But many emails later we finally got things figured out. Then we had to invite others which is difficult to find friends of an 80 year old that are still alive. I asked one of her closest friends that she used to work with and she would bring her daughter who is only a year younger than me so we basically grew up together. The woman's sister and husband were good friends of my parents too, so word got out to them. One of my step-father's best friends has stayed friends with us even after my step-dad died so of course he had to be there. I called a few more people in the retirement park but they had other engagements.

I didn't order an ice cream cake after all because it would be too big to fit in her freezer so I got a cake with pictures on it of us many years younger. It was a big hit.
Look how cute I was, far left. And then we grow out of it.

Hubby, daughter and I got there first and walked in with the cake and large deli tray. Then hubby moved the car and Mom asked where he was going. There's not much room to park so I wanted the car out of the way. She had inklings that something was up because she had talked to younger brother a few days earlier and she told him that she thought he was going to come up and surprise her after he was done camping. He tried to convince her that she was wrong, but I don't think she bought it.

She went into the bathroom and my brothers and their wives showed up. Older brother tried to crouch down to surprise her but when she came out of the bathroom she spotted him and said, "I knew it!"
Daughter and I on left, younger bro in the back, Mom and older bro
We started laughing and setting food out and she thought that was it. The front door bell rang and they all started coming in, all within about 10 minutes. Since her place is kind of small there really weren't enough chairs to go around. Whoops, kind of overlooked that. I snuck off to the living room and let the older folks catch up since it's been awhile since they've seen each other.

After dinner there was cake and after cake there were presents and Mom seemed to have a really good time. Then after everyone left came the fun part--cleanup. But we got done pretty fast and one by one we had to go too. Younger brother and his wife still had a 5 hour drive ahead of them, minus sunglasses, heading right into the sun.  We know who the klepto was though, she thought they were hers, but they are being mailed to the rightful owner.

Mom thanked me as we left for the nice party and said I didn't have to do it again next year. Good thing, 'cause I hadn't planned on it. I have to get started on our daughter's Sweet 16 birthday next month.

PS. Laptop is going back in for repair tomorrow. All I wanted to do is get rid of McAfee because it was being a real pain. It worked fine but now it seems all my plug-ins are gone. I don't know exactly what they do but I know I like them and I need them and I'm mad they're gone. So let's all refer to my last post--Ka-Ching and Crap! So if I can't visit some of you because I'm on sucky dial-up please forgive me and I'll catch up as soon as I can.

Comments

bill said…
Nice of you to give mom a party. Isn't that about the way brothers and sisters everywhere converse, by email or otherwise.
ethelmaepotter! said…
What a sweet surprise, and what an effort you went through to pull it off!
AND...your mom looks incredible for 80! I think she looks younger than I do, and I'm 54!
kden said…
Bill and Ethel, you are up very late, go to bed! But I'm glad you stopped by first.
Grumpy said…
That's a wonderful thing to do for your Mother.
I think you probably arranged the whole thing by yourself kden. Well done. Lets forget about the lack of chairs.
D. Duplessis said…
What a nice birthday for your Mom! On a side note, tell your brother to stop writing in all CAPS, it's rude. :-)
Claire King said…
How sweet kden. I bet you still feel good and I bet, most importantly, your mom does too.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny