Campin' Out

Does anyone camp out in backyards anymore? My husband, daughter and Nellie have been since she was little at least once or twice in a summer. Last year she didn't seem interested at all but it was her idea to do it last night so hubby jumped (sort of) at the chance. Nellie absolutely loves it, we take her bed out and I guess that's at close as to being a wild dog as she'll ever get.

And me? I stay in and get the whole house to myself. I even came out of the basement for the night and slept rather well. I like everything about camping; campfires, wooded areas, friendly people, and a nice hot cup of coffee on a chili morning. But just don't make me sleep in a tent to get all that. That's why if we're doing any kind of camping experience, we always stay in a cabin, that way I get the best of both worlds.

When I was young, my little brother and I used to sleep in the backyard without a tent. Just lay out a sleeping bag on the ground or even use a lawn chair. One night we were close to the back door and I woke up all of a sudden with someone looking at me. He ran off but I was so scared I woke up little  bro and we high tailed it into the house. I found out later that it was one of my older brother's friends and he thought it was him that was sleeping. Another night when I was older I was on a lawn chair all by myself and I guess I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I was looking at the moon and thought it was not moving, so therefore the world was ending and I would not live to see another day. It took me a long time to go to sleep. Well, do you blame me? But I did and was pleasantly surprised to realize that I woke up the next morning and lived through the ending of the world.

When we went on family vacations we rarely stayed in a motel, it was all camping. We had a real small pull-along trailer at the time which fit my parents, and only two of us kids. So that meant that at least one kid had to sleep in a tent, so may as well make it two and heck lets just kick them all out of the trailer into the tent. I hated it! It was cold, and damp. And if it rained you dare not touch one spot of the tent or that would be the leaky spot. Wet sleeping bags are not cool!!!

Even in 1983 when my dad died, we took his ashes to his favorite camping spot and I had to endure a tent again. Another cold damp night with no sleep. Even the big rock that was heated by the camp fire before we went to bed was nothing but a cold wet stone and did nothing for my mood.

I tried sleeping in the backyard with hubby and daughter--once. It was too bright with all the yard lights. Our lawn is too slopey and I kept sliding down towards the door. It was just too everything so whenever they want to camp out I help them take their gear out, set up the tent, kiss them and the dog good night and come in for a well deserved sleep.

Comments

bill said…
Good story. Getting away and camping out was one of the little pleasures I have long enjoyed in life. Communing with nature somehow always seemed to make the difficulties I had left behind, less so when I returned. I understand your reluctance to sleep out. I always thought of myself as the worst SOB in the valley, so didn't mind it. Let me say here if I can't/don't later, I have enjoyed our brief cyber association. Take good care.
Grumpy said…
As a kid friends and I would often sleep in the back yard, like you with sleeping bags on the ground. It was fun then, but you couldn't pay me to do it now.
kden said…
Bill, thank you, I have enjoyed it very much too. You make it sound so final. I expect many more years of cyber association.
D. Duplessis said…
Wow, this article takes me back to my youth. When I was a kid my friends and I used to do this all the time! I can't imagine doing it now, the heat/humidity down here in the South is horrible, even at night.
Lyn said…
Yes, I think that sounds like a win-win situation to me. The kids get to camp out and you get to sleep in your own bed.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

March Doings