In The Passenger Seat

**I posted the following post first at Alexandria, the other blog I post for. I usually post much older, recycled posts but decided to write something fresh for a change. In all there are probably 35 different authors and not one could comment. I see that as being the norm over there. Maybe it's because I'm still the new kid on the block or I need to face the fact that I'm just boring. So from now on, no new stuff for them, they will only get used material. Only the bestest, freshest material for my homies. I just got home from my day trip, so give me a few days to wash the road weariness off of me before I tell ya all about it**

My daughter will be starting Driver’s Ed next week so we picked up her learners permit last weekend. Her friends are surprised that she hasn’t driven yet. I thought that was the whole idea of a permit and lessons, to learn. I decided it wouldn’t hurt to head out to a parking lot and see what kind of skills she has.

Her high school, which is right across the street from our house, has a nice new parking lot. I drove over there and parked at the far end of the lot where no cars were in the way. As we switched seats I explained that the first thing to do is adjust the mirrors and seat to suit each driver. So many things that I do automatically now have to be explained in detail. I drive a Mini Van and she looked so tiny in the seat, having to pull it up so close to the steering wheel.

She then asked which pedal was which and placed a foot on each one. Oh boy, are we in for some fun. I honestly didn’t know how clueless she was. But why wouldn’t she be? This is how everyone starts. Even her friends that teased her, started out this way. I had her back out of the space I was in, put the car in drive and go. Wheeee, back and forth down the row we went. Turn one way, tell her to straighten out, over correct, and do it all over again.

As she rounded one corner she hopped a curb that houses plants and a light pole. We switched again so I could get out of the tight spot. Around and around the lot we went, each time she got a little better. She actually kept the car straight and parked it pretty good in a spot. I even had her go down a row with a few cars in it and they came through it unscathed.

The time flew by and an hour was up before we knew it. I took over and drove us home where I took my blood pressure medicine. Considering she didn’t know much I think she did alright. But a few more trips around the lot wouldn’t hurt before she starts her actual class.

When she was born, this day seemed so far away. Now it’s here and it’s my job to see that she’s prepared to be a respectful, responsible, safe driver. But until that happens, y’all might just want to keep your car parked in the garage.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It seems so long ago since I learned to drive. It's a scary thing to be responsible for a big hunk of metal, especially with all the crazy drivers out there now. Based on what you said, I think she did great!
fernvalley01 said…
Exciting and scary! I am a terrible passenger, but I did drive with my nieces when they were learning,stayed calm then fell apart at home
Claire King said…
Nice work, kden. Slow and steady, slow and steady. Love the medicating when you got home. Ahhh, I remember the days.
Grumpy said…
Thanks for bringing back the memories of my Dad doing the same with me. She'll get better and eventually make life easier for you because you can send her on errands and she will gladly go if it means driving.
I'm sad and happy at the same time, because when I mentioned to my son that he could now drive legally, he said he didn't want to. Several of his friends feel the same. I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

March Doings