Ho Hum

Geez, my life sure has been boring this past week. I can hardly think of anything to complain about.

I just got back from getting a haircut. I've been going to Great Clips since Rita left me. It sits in a little strip mall and as I was ready to turn into the parking lot I see one of the stylists standing on the sidewalk holding a big sign advertising the store. I've been seeing a lot of that lately; advertising for oil changes, furniture sales, and car washes. I can't think of anything more demeaning as to stand out with a sign prostituting a business, especially the ones that have to wear some dorky costume. And they look so happy doing it don't they? You can see the misery in their face. I'd like to see the statistics on if it even works. If I'm driving by a business and see some poor shlub holding a sign up I don't stop and think "Hey, good thing he's out there 'cause I really need a new couch today." Will I even remember this guy when I am in the market for a new couch? No, I will look in the paper or online for a sale like everyone else. And to the LOF guy, I'm on my way to work and when I do need my oil changed I will go to where I always go, not to some business that makes his employees stand out in crappy weather to advertise for you.

My daughter's AP Photo class as well as some of the Arts classes went to a career fair at another high school today. It wasn't an all day event, just a few hours. It's still early and she's not home yet but I'm sure she'll say she hated it or there was nothing to look at or it was boring or.......(insert your own teenagerism here) ***She just got home, "It was boring". I know my girl.***

I know it's hard for a Sophomore to think about what they want to do as an occupation. The cost of college and high unemployment rates certainly makes one's decision harder. But dang, nothing seems to spark her interest. At one time she was thinking Photography but I've kind of steered her away from that, too many reasons to list. Her dad thought she'd be good at Photo Journalism because she is a good writer. I don't think she realizes how smart she is and that she could be good at anything. I want better for her than how I turned out. When she was younger I really thought she should work with animals but she's afraid of big dogs; so scratch that. I'm just not looking forward to the next couple of years with Senior Culminating Projects, scholarship applications, grant applications, these forms and those forms and never ending forms.

I just saw that Kim Kardashian is going to be on Rachael Ray. I don't get the whole Kardashian family at all. How can people get so popular just by being on a reality show? Stars used to become popular by their acting abilities. Oh well, to each his own. Like I should talk, said the woman in love with the Boys of the Bering Sea.

I need to sign off, this is beginning to sound like a rambling non-post.


Comments

bill said…
I don't know if you can pick an occupation for your daughter. I mean does that ever work? After all, do we know what we want to do when we grow up? On the other hand, some people do.
kden said…
So true Bill, I still don't know what to be when I grow up. I envy those that have known since they were very small.
Grumpy said…
I wouldn't worry about your daughter (easy for me to say); she'll find what she wants. Probably even change her mind a few times.

We see a lot of the sign holding people too. My all time favorite is the guy dressed as Lady Liberty for a tax preparation service.

We have a running joke at our house. Every time one of the Kardashians or Paris Hilton show up on the screen I ask my wife what it is that they do. She tells me they're famous for being famous. Guess it's good work if you can get it.
Claire King said…
Both bill and grumpy are right...your girl will happen upon something and hopefully decide college would be a good way to learn of it. And she may change her mind a few times.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........