This Day In History

This is the creepiest thing I've ever read about Spokane. It's hard to believe stuff went on that long ago and I wish I could see some kind of follow up to find out if they caught the guy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From our archives, 100 years ago

A "fiend" nicknamed jack the Spanker was preying on Spokane schoolboys.

The man, who police surmised was a homeless "degenerate", had been prowling around Spokane neighborhoods and going up to young boys and announcing, in a businesslike manner, "I am going to spank you. You're a bad boy, and you need it."

Then he partially undressed the boys and "cruelly beat them," sometimes with a leather strap or a length of bailing wire. The latest attack came in the Rockwood area, where he confronted five boys who were out playing. He grabbed one 10-year-old and beat him. Three of the four other boys were too scared to run and they too were beaten. One was choked "nearly into insensibility."

After it was all over, they ran, but he caught up with them and whipped three of them again.

Police believe they found his lair, in a clump of bushes near Garden Springs. Police were hunting for a man who was described as thin, sickly looking, and dressed in a shabby black coat and a black fedora.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never trust a man in a black fedora.

Comments

D. Duplessis said…
Yikes. I'm throwing out my fedora right now. Your article reminded me about how some folks I know long for the "good old days" like there weren't any horrible people doing horrible things to other people, natural disasters, plagues, wars, etc. etc. They've conveniently forgotten that bad things have always been around...you just didn't hear about it as much or as quickly as you do now.
fernvalley01 said…
Oh my !!!! how terrible
ethelmaepotter! said…
Oh yeah, the black fedora is a dead giveaway.

Seriously though, I hope they found that wacko. And if they did...I just wonder what his fate may have been? 1911? I think hanging was still legal in the US. Would his crime have been considered a capital offense?

Interesting, but sick food for thought.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny