Grannie Gets An IPad

My brothers and I have been trying to talk our 79 year-old mom into getting a laptop for several years now. You could almost hear her sticking her fingers in her ears and saying "Lalalalalalalala, I can't hearrrrr youuuuuu." In essence, she wasn't interested. She said her palms start sweating just at the thought of it.

But then the IPad came out. Ever since then she has been dropping little hints or even teasing about when she gets her IPad. Then I didn't hear anything about it for a long time. But recently she brought it up again. She doesn't get out at all, except for doctor's appointments so it's not like she could just hop in her car, air tank a draggin' and go to the newly opened Apple store and buy one.

So imagine my surprise a few weeks ago when I was on Facebook, I see her name in the right hand margin. Holy Shit, she did it. My brother bought it for her and then split the cost with her and then we are splitting the cost with him for her Christmas present. He got her set up with an account, got her on Facebook (which she said she didn't want), and got her an email address.

He finally delivered it to her and gave her email address, Facebook log-in info and showed her how to get on line, that's about it. Guys are not so good at writing down specific steps for someone to follow. You have to remember that she has never touched a computer of any kind before. He kept the instruction book and made her a copy, all 150 pages of it.

When I was at her house last week, I helped put in her address book and gave her a few pointers about how to use Facebook. She still said she didn't want to use it. Plus she's only got 7 friends, and three of them are her kids. She has rejected any other friend requests. Since we come from a small town everyone knows everyone, even if we don't live there anymore. So my old friends are now asking her to be friends. Just like one big inbred family.

But she must have got the bug because this past weekend she was posting new status's left and right, sometimes five a day or more. OK Mom, slow down a little here. And she doesn't understand why all of her 'friends' don't comment on her status's. Well, it's fun for awhile but all day long???? Am I going to have to un-friend her like my daughter did to me? It is kind of weird now, writing something that my mother might see. I totally get my daughter's point now.

And now the questions start. "I can't get rid of this Safari thing, it keeps popping up while I try to do anything."

"Mom, Safari is the web browser, you can't get rid of it, you need it for everything you do, even Facebook."

"Oh, well then what's all these emails on the side of the Facebook page, I can't get rid of the box."

I try to give her all the suggestions I can but I'm not real familiar with Apple products, 'cause I'm a PC. But she's getting the hang of it and I know she'll get more comfortable with it in time. And we'll all get to play with it at Christmas, since we are part owners ya know.

I'm happy she bought it because there's a big world out there and she can look up anything without having to ask me to do it. She loves painting and crafting and she can look up anything just on those subjects alone and be totally immersed for the rest of the day.

I wish I could tell her about my blog though; I really do. I'm proud that I've been blogging for almost three years and she would probably like most of my stuff. We kind of have the same attitude about life. But if I did, it would be the end of life as I know it. It's my safe place and the only thing I have to call my own. And since I write about her and my family *ahem* occasionally, it would not be a good idea.

So rock on Grannie and enjoy your IPad.

Comments

Grumpy said…
How cool is that! Opens up a whole new world, especially for someone who is largely house bound. She'll get the hang of it. Tell her not to be afraid to click on things; if it goes bad, she can always restart.

When this PC dies, I'm going Apple. You can get 2 PC's for the price of one Mac, but I think it's worth it in the long run.
bill said…
I think that's terrific. Good for her, your mother, good for you and your brother.
Cozy said…
I know how you feel about family looking over your shoulder. I got a twitter account just so I could say the random rant to the internet without family seeing it. They are all on facebook and readers of my blog. Does anyone actually read tweets?
fernvalley01 said…
It took me a long time to tell my family about my blog, I also hang out on a private blog whare I sheare my frustrations though so I can keep this one family friendly
Claire King said…
Good for her and good for you and your brother for helping her.
Kalidoss said…
I agree with you..Thats cool..she can now see her world thru her Ipad..

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........