Crazy Early Birdies

I was listening to the news this morning and they were talking about a couple of women who are camping out at a Best Buy in St. Petersburg, Florida a full nine days ahead of Black Friday? They trade shifts with other family members to keep their 'first in line' status. They're really not even sure what they're going to buy, except maybe some new speakers for their wide screen TV they bought last year. They're laying around in shorts, well because it's Florida. I guarantee that if they lived here they wouldn't even try it. We're expecting 12 below as a low tomorrow night.

I just don't get it. I've never understood the insanity of Black Friday shopping. Why would one purposely subject themselves to crushing crowds and being stampeded by crazy people looking for that great bargain which probably isn't that much of a bargain anyway? The closest I ever came to one was last year when I bought my computer. It was a pre-Black Friday sale and not very advertised. So I strolled in at 7:00 am, got in a very small line and bought my computer. Easy Peasy.

The women are very excited and just love the whole experience. I say these women don't work and have nothing better to do. One of the women said she spent about $3000.00 last year but also swears that they saved about as much because of the sale. Can you say chump? I say it also takes them all year just to pay off their credit card bills. The recession must definitely be over.

So I guess I will just have to pass on all the fun and frivolity this year and shop like a boring normal person.

Comments

fernvalley01 said…
I just cannnot imagine .I dislike the lines on regular shopping days .I suspect it is like Boxing day sales (which I also avoid like the plague)
bill said…
We have them, too, camped out forty-eight hours ahead of sale day for everything from football tickets to electronics @ Best Buy, Target, Dillard's ( a Dept. Store), and the Football Stadium. I don't think all of it is bargain hunting. Part of it I think is the publicity and the adventure of doing something different. I can understand this in college students, I think.
Grumpy said…
I don't get it either. My daughter-in-law and her sister head out at 4:00 a.m. every year with lists and an itinerary. One store here is now opening at 3:00 a.m.
Peruby said…
Huh. And here I am thinking I am the nut. What do you know?

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

March Doings