My New Toy

I've had a laptop for about 6 months now but had to rely on dial-up to use it. The low price I pay for dial-up makes it worth not switching to high speed. But we're going on vacation in a month and I want to take it with me. Knowing my phone cord won't reach that far, I started researching usb broadband modems. I contemplated Cricket, but after reading such bad reviews about the product and customer service, decided against it.

Then I ran across the Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go . After you buy the usb modem, there are no monthly bills to contend with or hunting for wifi spots. You pay as you go with varied plans and use the same coverage area as their cell phones. I mapped the area we're going and we will be able to use it just about everywhere we go, with the exception of our motel. And that's only because it's pretty remote. I can't give too much away because we're keeping our destination a secret from our daughter. She hates being tortured but I love it ;-)

Installation took about 5 minutes and I was in high speed heaven. You get to see your mb's used and signal strength. You can even use it on several computers in your home. I installed it on my desktop in the basement but the signal strength is not that great down there. A single Itunes download took 12 minutes.

I bought the $20.00 plan which gives you 300 mb's which is equivalent to 15 hours of web browsing, 1 hour of video or 25,000 emails. I've had it running for three days, watching YouTube videos, downloading games and doing a lot of other things more quickly than I have ever been able to do before. My mb's have not even gone down one bit. This worries me a little though, because I know I have used something. But I'll just keep going until the 30 days expires. That's the only drawback I can see and the one most complained about. Each plan has a 30 day limit and mb's don't roll over. So use it or lose it.

Other than that, this is the best product for me. I don't have to tie up the phone line while I'm online. I can have broadband when and where I need it for a lot less than if I paid a monthly fee. I'll let you know how it worked on vacation when we get back. Or...you might even hear from me while I'm ON vacation.

Comments

Grumpy said…
Welcome to the 21st Century. Have fun on vacation.
kden said…
Yea, it always takes me awhile to get caught up to the rest of the world, but it's well worth the trip.
fernvalley01 said…
I have a Rogers(AT&T) "Rocket stick " for my laptop I works great for me in my area. As for getting caught up, I always say Hubby and I don't buy anything till its nearly obsolete!
Claire King said…
Have a nice vacation and good job on product research. Let everyone know your product report upon your return.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

March Doings