I Was A S.L.U.T. Last Weekend

A small group of girls I graduated with invited me to a S.L.U.T. weekend. This is the third year they've gotten together but only the first that I had been invited. I guess it paid to join Facebook and reconnect with friends I hadn't seen in a long time.

I thought it was something they came up with but found out later that it is an acronym used by a lot of women. Stress-Out Ladies Unwinding Together seems like a good excuse as any to get together to drink, laugh so hard you wet your pants, and relive old high school memories.

I laughed as I packed my bag for the weekend. Back in high school I would have packed makeup, clothes, sleeping bag and a pillow. Oh and lots of alcohol. This time I packed clothes of course but also so many more comforts from home. Advil, earplugs, sunscreen, sleeping bag with two foam pads, my special buckwheat pillow plus another one that I use between my knees, no makeup, and three measly Mike's Hard Lemonade's.

It was a beautiful day as I drove the short trip to lake Coeur D'Alene in Idaho. Pam is the one who owns the lake cabin and she's a wonderful hostess. Her husband is the only man there and that's only because he is our boat chauffeur. When I arrived Pam greeted me and I followed her to the deck out back. I first spotted my cousin Peggy, who I had not seen in 9 or 10 years. I almost cried, it was so good to see her. We live less than 75 miles apart but she is the type of person that makes empty promises about getting together. She's been like that since we were kids so it's  just the way she is.

After I hugged her three times I made the rounds with the others, Linda, Sharon, Barb, and Evelyn. A few that were supposed to be there could not make it and one had to go home unexpectedly the night before because her son had been in an accident.That's me in the back row with short blond hair and  glasses (NOT the one in the black bikini!) My cousin Peggy is on the far left with black shirt.

The first thing we did was load sunscreen, drinks, and chairs down to the dock. We played in the water on a giant inner tube type thing which was very slippery, especially while trying to hold onto a drink and being lubed up with sunscreen. After a light lunch we all piled in the boat.

Evelyn and Pam got onto the tube first and was whipped around the wakes by Pam's husband. It was hilarious watching them catch some air and get dumped more than once. After they were pulled in no one else wanted to go but I finally said I would go if Linda would. With strict instructions to Kirk NOT to go fast I squeezed myself into a life jacket. Not being able to breathe now I had to fling myself onto the tube and make room for Linda. As you lie down the life jacket rides up in the back and inhibits you from raising your head. So I spent most of the ride with my face down. They stopped once to ask me if I was praying. Heck yea, I said. Getting back into the boat was harder than getting off. Poor Kirk had to help all the chubby ladies back into the boat.

After tubing we headed down the St. Joe River and found a small community having a craft fair. We bailed out, mostly to find a bathroom and then walked around looking at crafts, gathering ideas for things we could just as easily make at home. We didn't get back to the cabin until 5:00 pm. I was wind whipped and hungry but now it was craft time. We decorated Martini glasses with paint with plans to drink out of them later. Peggy left before dinner; expected but still disappointed. She made promises of calling and getting together but I know it will be at least a year or more before I see her again. Sigh.

After dinner Pam thought it would be fun to play a game. I'm not much of a game player but she seemed insistent. She was more insistent that everyone go to the bathroom before we start. Barb and I passed on that suggestion and started listening to the directions to the game. I won't go into it, but the game involved a plunger and roll of toilet paper and teams. We started laughing and that's when Barb and I decided we'd better go to the bathroom after all. Thankfully the game ended quickly and again poor Kirk had to take pictures. I hope Pam treats him well the rest of the year for putting up with us for a weekend.

Almost as if someone had turned off a switch, the game was over by 9:30 and everyone said they were tired and ready for bed. We didn't even get to use our new Martini glasses. By 10:00 everyone was in their respective beds. I got the hide-a-bed. I hate those things and didn't sleep well. I've got dibs on the bed in the camper next year.

After breakfast some started leaving because they had further to drive. I decided to leave too and found my way home by 11:30 am. It's the most fun I've had in a long time and hope that I will be invited back to be a S.L.U.T. next year.

Comments

fernvalley01 said…
What a great idea! That sounds like so much fun.I am like you ladies though and after a day in the water and all you did I would have been "lights out" early too
Grumpy said…
Sounds like a great time. I'm sure you're glad you went. I expected more drinking.
kden said…
I thought I would drink more too. One mixed drink while playing in the water and one wine cooler on the boat ride back to the cabin. I opened another but didn't drink it. What's up with that? That's one thing that has seriously changed since high school.
Claire King said…
I am so glad you had fun!! It is nice to reconnect and an annual SLUT party sounds great.
Peruby said…
My sister insists we have to play the plunger/toilet paper roll game. There are funny videos of ladies playing the game going around on the Internet (maybe on youtube, I don't know).

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Merry

TRUM-pis uh-NAS-HOAL

Oh Shred