Heartbreak 101

My 14 year old daughter has officially had her first heartbreak. I knew it would happen some day but not so soon. She met him at the beginning of second semester at her high school. I think she fell for this cute boy (I met him, he is) instantly. A friend of hers was also a friend of his so she asked her to ask him if he liked her 'cause she liked him. You remember what it was like, to ask the go-between to basically speak for you because you couldn't.

He said he did so they would meet up after designated classes and he walked her home after a play one night. One day after school  he dropped by to see if she was OK because she was sick that day and not in school. I heard he also smelled good and was a great hugger.

Hey, that's all it took for me to fall in love with him. Even big Daddy was impressed. And it takes a lot to impress an overprotective Italian Daddy.

She does not give her heart freely and doesn't flit around from boy to boy like many kids do, so I know she fell hard for him.

They would text each other and meet up on Facebook at night. I know times have changed, but you just have to roll with it.

But then it turned cold as quick as it had heated up. He started meeting up with someone else after class and texts were short and distant. It's hard to admit that maybe it was over before it got started.

I've been there, we all have. And even adults still go through the same thing. But that's hard for a young girl to understand and they feel like they are the only ones that have ever felt this way. Someday I will let her read a dorky poem I wrote when I was 16 and sooooooo in love and then he left town without even saying goodbye.

So sadly, my daughter has joined the painful ranks of a broken heart. It's hard to see the pain that she tries so hard to hide. But I also feel it, just as fresh as I felt the pain of my first broken heart. My first of many.

It will be her first of many too and there's not a darn thing I can do about it, except listen if she wants to share. The only word of advice I gave her is that a girl under no circumstances should ever believe that they are never smart, pretty, cool, tall, blond, blue-eyed or thin enough to keep a boys attention. Fifteen year-old boys do not have the maturity to even know what a relationship is and neither do 14 year-old girls for that matter. 

But we're talking about MY daughter here and I don't think I love him anymore because he's a doody head.

Comments

fernvalley01 said…
They only call it "first" love because it isn't the last. That said, Doody head better watch out! (lol)
Hope your daughters tears dry soon
ethelmaepotter! said…
We all know the cure for this is time, the first treatment is tears, and consequent treatments consist largely of CHOCOLATE. And SHOPPING. So go out and treat yourselves. Bond. Call him Doodyhead together; admire cute butts; show her what a cool mom you can be. This is the time to win BIG BROWNIE POINTS. Take advantage. It's all for your daughter, of course.
Signe said…
Oh, I so dread that!! Poor kid, it's a very un-fun part of life. I ditto the chocolate and shopping. Good luck (to both of you)!
Grumpy said…
Tough lesson in life. Kids are resilient; hopefully she'll bounce back soon. On the other hand, your post has flooded my mind with memories, and in the rear view mirror, I can smile. She will too.
Breathe said…
Doody head. I'm saving that one. My daughter is just 11, I'm not looking forward to our first doody head.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........