Killer Whales are Killers......Duh

A killer whale has killed one of his trainers. Why should we be surprised?

A thirty year-old male, Tilikum was said to have been acting like a spoiled child earlier and not responding to directions. Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that he is a WILD animal in captivity forced to do tricks for us? I think Tilikum is downright pissed and I don't blame him. He has killed 2 people before and it's horrible that another trainer has died, but come on people, you just can't take a wild animal out of his element and expect him to lose his natural instincts. He is a hunter and killer of seals and many other animal smaller than him.

I read that 136 Orcas have been taken into captivity from the wild since 1961. Of those, 123 have died, with an average lifespan of four years once captured. For a species that averages 35 years in the wild, that's a pretty poor public health record. But they're big money makers and that's why they are continually being captured.

PETA is asking SeaWorld to allow the animals larger facilites to swim in. They also have a form letter to send to the owners of SeaWorld asking for the release of these animals to sanctuaries. For once I agree with them.

My family and I had the pleasure of seeing Orcas in the wild during a vacation in the San Juan Islands. It was magical to see them breach the surface of the water right in front of the boat. I never did get any good pictures because I was too busy being in awe of such magnificent creatures. And I had a crappy camera back then. But nontheless it was a beautiful sight and it's very disheartening to know that these, or any animals are still being captured for our entertainment.

Comments

ethelmaepotter! said…
It's a sad thing. I've seen Tilly many times; I've seen him interact with his trainers, jumping up out of the water on command, riding his trainer around, showing LOVE. It's a beautiful thing. And I respect the kind of care SeaWorld provides these creatures. But, let's face it: as big as these pools are, they're no match for an ocean. Sure, the whales are safe from pollutants, nets, sharks, and other menaces, but at what price? And when a Killer Whale has a bad day...?

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny