Sometimes You Shouldn't Bother Going Home

This past weekend my husband, daughter, and I took a weekend trip and on the way home drove through the town I was raised in. I moved away 33 years ago when I graduated but have been back many times because they have an annual German Fest. But it has been awhile since I've been back because I just really don't know anybody anymore and the fests have kind of lost their popularity. That is unless you want to spend the whole weekend in the Beer Garden, which many do.

When I lived there the population was a whopping 1200 or so. Now I'm guessing it's more in the high hundreds. And the entire town looks tired and run down. The first picture is the where I spent most of my growing up years. It wasn't our first house but it was the first we purchased. This was taken soon after we moved in but I don't know the year. It sure wasn't a fancy house, like many in town, but people seemed to care more about what their homes, yards, and neighborhoods looked like.



I've driven by my house many times but this time I was actually depressed and there just seems to be no reason to go back anymore.

We used to have a garden, flowers, and even though there were three kids in the family our yard was relatively picked up. Maybe times were simpler then and there wasn't a whole lot of crap to junk up a yard. One of the side yards is now fenced and I can see an old vehicle behind it. And driving around back through the alley another high fence hides more junk and dilapidated old cars. We used to joke about the house on the corner; Old Man Delzer. His yard was like the TV show, Sanford and Son. The town tried to get him to clean up his property for years but he never did. He claimed he was selling antiques. I wish I had taken a picture of his place and the entire neighborhood for that matter because all of the houses are starting to look like Old Man Delzer's.

Even driving down main street is like driving through another town that I don't recognize. The homes used to be pretty and painted, and they were adorned with flags and flowers to show off. Now they all look the same, drab without care.

It's just sad and I think I have made my last trip down memory lane.

Comments

Grumpy said…
When I visit my Grandparent's graves in the town where I was born, I always make a trip to visit the house we lived in. It's gone from being a well cared for neighborhood to being a slum and now has been rehabbed to look better than ever. Nothing remains the same.
ethelmaepotter! said…
Oh, I know exactly what you mean! I've done this same thing a couple of times - "Let me show you the great house where we lived when I was a kid," etc! And both times it turned out the great house was rundown, needing a new roof, junk-filled yars, junkier neighorhoods, etc.
Wasn't it Thomas Payne who said "you can't go home again"?

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny