Huuummmmmmmmmmmm

Our house has a hum. It's not a 'nice tune' kind of hum but rather a droning type hum than cycles the pitch from high to low. My husband started hearing it awhile back but of course I tune him out too so I didn't start hearing it until about three weeks ago.

And it's about to drive me crazy.

I can hear it more on one side of the house than the other and that includes the basement too. I have been putting my ear up to all kinds of things, anything that's plugged in. Can't find it. I've unplugged stereo's that we don't use, and the tv downstairs.

We recently got a Cable DVR machine and thought it might be that. It has its own whirring sound but doesn't seem to be the same kind of noise we're hearing. We also have a Radon Pump and it has its own noise too. And it's more on the other side of the house.

I walk around the living room with my head half cocked like a dog who hears a dog whistle in the distance. And it gives me headaches because I start concentrating on the noise.

On doing some research it might be the cable box (Comcast). If this is the culprit it has something to do with needing a ground in the loop, whatever that means. they may as well be speaking a different language. And my husband is not a fix-it type guy either, so I'm sure it will not get fixed anytime soon.

I will probably spend the winter pulling out my eyelashes out one at a time or develop a nervous tic. So if you happen to see me on the street and my eyes are staring in two different directions just ignore me.

Comments

Grumpy said…
It's a simple fix. Call Comcast, go through 27 voice prompts before speaking to a real person. That person, who speaks limited English, will set up an appointment for a technician to come to your home between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. the first Monday after the second Tuesday of next month. When, and if, he actually arrives, he will not hear any hum and you will write him a check for $45 for fixing your problem.
ethelmaepotter! said…
Oh, I can definitely relate. It's not a hum we have, but a sporadic "arr, arrr, arrrrrrr," like a dog barking. We rarely hear it during the day, but at night, when the house is quiet, except for the keys on the laptop, I hear it - maybe once every 30 minutes to an hour. Impossible to track, since it cannot be predicted. Like you, I think it may be coming from the cable or the DVD recorder or something in the direction of our media center. It drives me crazy, but hubby refuses to hear anything.
kden said…
Grumpy, I see you've had them come to your home too.
Tom said…
I would get it seen to sooner than later... we had something similar a while back.... that turned out to be a faulty plug socket...
We found out one night when our smoke alarm went off and the 'Plug In Air Freshener' over heated and set on fire... It could have been a disaster. Anything to do with electrics needs to be sorted ASAP
nonizamboni said…
Yeah, it truly is these little things that would put me over the edge--and have! Too funny and loved your crackers post too.
Have a lovely weekend!
simplynotso said…
those little noises can be so annoying!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........