Recession? What Recession?

I am not trying to make light of a situation that is touching so many lives today but I had coffee with a friend a few weeks ago and this topic came up.

We have known each other for several years and know of each others struggles. My friend's husband has Parkinson's Disease, liver disease, heart problems and diabetes. He is pretty much bed ridden now because he is too weak to do much else. My friend has suffered for years with Fibromyalgia, and more recently has had brain surgery to remove a tumor. I guess it doesn't really matter what ailments they have but both of them haven't been able to work for years and now rely on disability, and VA benefits.

My family has had it's own struggles, not health, but financial. We were saying that so many people now have to make choices about their needs and wants and have to make certain things a priority. We laughed and said that we have been doing this for years; it's nothing new. I do nothing different than I have for a long time so the "new recession" hasn't affected us at all. We are actually used to living this way that is comes easy for us (I didn't say fun, I said easy, as in a routine sort of way). I think that those of us who have always struggled are able to cope better than those that are newly affected by the downturn in the economy and the trickdown effects of it all.

I am grateful that my husband is working full time and I work part time. And I realize that even we are not secure in our jobs. But I am also hopeful that in time my friend and I along with millions of others will be able to say that we lived through it; we made it.

Comments

liza said…
I totally agree with you on this. We've also been in the same boat for years, so the big R is nothing new to us. Although it's kinda tough to tighten the already tight belt, we manage. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........