Why Is A Good Night Sleep So Elusive To Me?


I am so jealous of people that can fall asleep quickly and stay asleep the entire night.

I go to bed at 10:00; that's is my limit for staying up, no matter what night it is. Most times I can fall asleep rather quickly but I wake up often during the night. Occasionally I hear my husband come in at 2:00 (from work, not the bar). And sometimes I wake up to use the bathroom. But if I wake up within an hour or so of my alarm going off (5:20) then I can't fall back asleep. So there are many days that I'm awake at 4:00am and my butt drags all day.

You'd think it would be better on the weekends but for some reason it's not. This morning I woke up at 4:30, went to the bathroom and there I am wide awake on a Sunday morning. I finally got up at 6:00 and no one else is going to be up until at least 8:30 or so and the paper's not here yet. What kind of a paperboy can't get the paper to your doorstep by 6:00? Maybe I should get a paper route since I have nothing else to do that time of the day. I'm not even a morning person, I hate getting up early, so why can't I sleep?

I have a mind that won't turn off once it's revved up. It doesn't even have to be about anything important. Once it starts it's like a little exercise wheel with a hyper gerbil in it; spinning round and round.

That's why I can't meditate, my mind won't shut up.

There are also times if I'm very stressed that I don't fall asleep at all. I hate those times. I just know when I go to bed that it's going to be a rough one. So don't give me any bad news around bedtime or I'll be awake all night. Then trying to function the next day is the worst.

I used to get up and read, listen to music, or jump on the internet but I don't even want to do that anymore because it still doesn't do any good.

I wish I could just lie down and become unconscious until my alarm goes off. Most people want to win the lottery but I just want one good nights sleep.

Well, winning the lottery WOULD be nice.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, I always fall asleep quickly! (hehehe!)
kden said…
Well, you are an evil child. You shall have liver for dinner.
DianneNTexas said…
Hi kden,
I to use to have trouble staying asleep at night. Have you been checked for sleep apnea. My mom had it and got the machine she sleeps in at night and now she says she sleeps like a baby.

Me I was not to keen on that, but I started taking a liquid vitamin & mineral supplement and I now take some before going to sleep and I wake up pretty refreshed now in the mornings. There's a post on my blog about it. (no not trying to sell you anything) It was just a thought. You might have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Talk to your doctor. But most just want to shove a pill down your throat.

I also find reading makes me sleepy as well. Good luck. There is nothing like a good nights sleep that's for sure.

God bless!
rani said…
Maybe you get to bed too early? Your body might just need less sleep. I've had sleepless nights all my life, but that's the time I do my writing and thinking. Good luck anyway!
kden said…
Rani, I couldn't make it past 10:00 if I tried. I'm a lot of fun on New Year's Eve.
Signe said…
I do the gerbil thing, too. And, yeah, it can be about anything...like adding tp to the grocery list in the morning. It's ridiculous!
Tell you what...you win the lottery, we'll both go away for a good night's sleep :D

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........