What Happened To My.......Uh....Oh Yea, Memory

I have put off doing this post because I keep forgetting what I want to say. My problem is forgetfulness. I will be 50 this year and as much as I would like to blame it on that, I have been this way for quite awhile now. I forget simple things such as names of people and things. Everything has the same name because I forget what it's called. So they are all thingies, deeliebobs, whatchamacallits, and whatsits.

This is a typical conversation that goes on in our house when I am trying to tell my family something:
ME: Oh, I just read something about.....uh, you know that guy that's on that show that we like.
FAMILY: What guy and what show?
Now I get mad that they don't know what I'm talking about.
ME: You know, that GUY who did that other show too, he played that guy who was married to that girl.
FAMILY: Huh?
ME: Oh never mind, you guys don't know anything.

But now I can't let it go and want to finish my story. So this is where the game of charades starts. I start describing this guy, I can see his face, just don't remember his name. So I keep giving them clues until finally my daughter gets it and blurts it out. Yes! That's the one, why was that so hard for you guys?!?!?!?!

When I'm finally done telling them what I wanted to tell them in the first place it doesn't sound all that interesting.

I do my mom's grocery shopping and I call her to get her list. She didn't know the depth of my forgetfulness until this day she asked for postage stamps. I write it real big on my list but they didn't make it to her house. I reminded myself all the way to the store and at the store because I knew if I forgot she would be pissed. This is not the first time I have forgotten them. Once I had just pulled into her complex and remembered them and had to go all the way back. So what did I do this time??? Yep, forgot the stamps. When she asked about them, I just burst into tears. Here I am at my age, crying in front of my mother because I forgot something....again. I think she felt too sorry for me to be mad.

And just a few weeks ago while picking up groceries, I had to get her medication and some more damn stamps. I remembered the medicine and had stamps on my mind....for awhile anyway. I got half-way to my car when I realized that I didn't buy them, so in again I go.

Awhile back I read in a magazine about this type of memory loss. I can't remember what the article said but it's a very common type of memory loss and it's nothing to be worried about. I felt a lot better after that. I like to think that my head is just too full of important stuff to be able to carry everything around. My daughter tells me my memory is horrible and I tell her that she should be grateful that I still know who she is.

But still the battle goes on and my family continues to play charades with me and my mom still reminds me again.....don't forget the stamps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Benny

Thrifty Vacationers

Introducing..........