Eat Your Damn Oatmeal!

I just got into a big fight with my daughter (pre-teen). Last night I asked her if she wanted oatmeal in the morning with me. She said yes but she wanted HER oatmeal, which means the sweetened-with-fake-fruit kind. I dug out the apples/cinnamon flavor and got her up sweetly like every other morning.

She sat down and looked at her bowl in disgust. "I said I wanted MY oatmeal, you know the blueberry or peach one"

I replied "this one is apples/cinnamon."

"Yes but I didn't WANT this one." as her voice rose to a near whine.

You should have seen my eyes bug out and steam come out of my ears. This girl is flat out picky. Always has been. She says she hates something although she has NEVER tried it.

I snatched her bowl away and told her she would be going to school hungry. It set me off after watching Idol Gives Back last night and all of those children who are parentless, homeless and I'm sure hungry. It takes me back to the starving kids in China that I heard about while growing up. So in essence, I became my mother at that moment (but I didn't care).

After I had calmed down I asked her if she knew why I was upset. She said yes. I asked her if she had ever had that flavor. Big Surprise, she said NO. I told her I was going to save it so she could have it for dinner, then HER eyes bugged out. But then I caved a bit and asked her if she wanted it now and while she was eating I asked her if it was good and she said barely in a whisper, "Yes."

So now it's time to send her off to school with a big hug and a kiss, as always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing..........

Thrifty Vacationers

Meet Benny